Re: DDF Maker keeping old structure after structure change

Steven Blank

Sure.

It has to do with the way that uniPaaS stores metadata in DataSources.xml. Specifically, uniPaaS maintains a redundant copy of certain values in the source xml, in an element named <_FieldPhysical /> (see below), and DDF Maker looks at this permanent, backup copy to obtain the table's record-layout.

As a failsafe, the Studio does not update this permanent, backup copy in the xml source until it successfully converts any existing data file – keyword: EXISTING.

The trick is simply to rename (or repoint) the underlying data file, make the structural change, then rename the file back again.

Or clone the original data file and offer up the [empty] clone as a sacrifice.

Steve Blank

On 6/1/2020 2:08 PM, Keith Canniff wrote:

Steve,

Can you explain why? I’ve had times where I’m just changes the Magic picture but the internal storage format will stay the same (picture from 6.1 to 6.2), yet Studio will want to do a conversion, which I cancel. Wouldn’t care if it were a small file, but when you’re dealing with 10 million rows, it becomes a big deal.

Keith