Re: XPA not allowing read-only access to SQLite?

Avgerinos

Hi Steven and many thanks for your suggestions.

Most of them I had already tried (what could be done from within Magic), but I haven't checked the DSN setting yet.
I will try as soon as I have a chance and let you know.

Thanks again and my best wishes for the new year :-)
Avgerinos

On 28/12/2020 8:18 μ.μ., Steven Blank wrote:
Averginos,

Two more thoughts:

1) If connecting to a SQLite database in Magic requires an ODBC DSN, use the 32-bit ODBC Administrator applet to change the DSN Open Mode to Read Only.

2) In your Magic tasks, make sure that these SQLite tables are always opened for Access=Read, Share=Write.

HTH.

Steven G. Blank
SGBlank Consulting

On 12/27/2020 8:59 PM, Avgerinos wrote:
Hi Magicians

Has someone managed to use Magic for reading data from an SQLiteDB which get updated by a 3rd party app?

I am facing the following problem:
A desktop XPA application running on a Windows client, requires read-only access to an SQLite database.
The database get constantly updated by a 3rd party app, which is already tested and verified for allowing read access to others.

Still, from my first tests I realized that Magic is using table locking when accessing SQLite, resulting to either being unable to read any data or blocking any updates.
Based on SQLite's documentation this should be possible: "...SQLite supports an unlimited number of simultaneous readers, but it will only allow one writer at any instant in time."

It seems that this is a limitation introduced by XPA alone, probably because the SQLite gateway is also used by the free, single-user XPA version.
Note that I am using the paid "client-server" license, since I also have to access an MS-SQL database in parallel.

Has anyone managed to bypass this limitation?

Thanks in advance
Avgerinos