Date

Re: Exit Operation Issue with v9.4

Alex Medvedovski

Jim,

Make sure you are defining the full path to your batch file and that it is enclosed in double quotes at the beginning and also at the end
Exmaple: "C:\My Path\Batchfile.bat"

Exit Operation Issue with v9.4

Jim Stephenson

I have an old app in eDev 9.4 that has been running just fine.

I needed to make a change in the way I am importing some txt files into this app so brought it back to my computer to make the changes.

For my 9,4 apps that I am still maintaining I am using v9.4 sp8. The client is actually running v9.4 sp7.

So, I make my changes and everything looks good. When I run the task to import the text files I am doing an Exit operation and running a bat file that opens an ftp site and copies some files to a local folder.

Running the bat file by itself works just fine from a command prompt. But when I run it from v9.4sp8 it tells me it cannot find the bat file.

So, I copy the clients v9.4sp7 folder to my computer, setup a shortcut to run the program using the same INI as I am using with v9.4sp8 and run the task. It works just fine.

What could be different between these two versions that would cause the newer one to not find the 'bat' file while the older one finds it just fine and they are both using the same INI and the same control file?

I have tried moving the 'bat' file into a local folder under v9.4sp8 and it doesn't make any difference.

Any ideas?

Beware SpecialInitialExpandAll (XPA481)

Steven Burrows

Just a minor heads up warning not just about using the new Special “SpecialInitialExpandAll” (XPA481), but also about the new extended use of the .opt file (XPA48 onwards).

I am not a fan of the new Default that has all Header Groups collapsed, and had been annoyed having to Ctrl+ several times whenever I look at a program for the 1st time.

After a few weeks of use, I noticed that loading my Project into Studio was taking longer and longer (eventually 30 seconds each time). Some comparison setups showed a difference with a larger .opt file which had crept up to several MB. Clearing the .opt file got rid of the long load time, but had lost all information regarding my manually expanded groups.

I thought I would try the new Special in 4.8.1. Not only would it save me the grief of Ctrl+, but would not bloat the .opt file with irrelevant settings and keep my application load speedy.

Half Right – Yes it works to default the groups to Expanded. However, the Expanded settings are ALL stored in the .opt file. Worse – if you do an XRef or full Syntax check the .opt file will have a “ExpandedItems” setting for every single group/element in your application.

In our case, that’s 12MB of .opt file that takes XPA a full 12 minutes to load.

Keep an eye on your .opt file for bloat, and don’t use the new special on a large project.

Not raised as an issue with MSE yet, not particularly confident of an engaging response, but the extended use of the .opt file needs a little work.

Steven Burrows

Re: OfficeCOM for Magic XPA 4.8

Wes Hein

Don't think the source code was ever available, just have to use what you get.  Should be a copy of the component in the file section

Wes

Re: Bug in XPA 4.8.1 Browser Control and BrowserSetContent() ?

Todd Baremore

So it turns out that the Chromium based control will not allow you to reference local files using file://
I was referencing .js, .css and .png files that are stored on the local server.  This is allowed using the .Net control.
The solution is to create an IIS web site on the local server which allows me to reference everything needed using http://
Also, after evaluating BrowserSetContent() you may need to place a Delay(5) to allow any .js  that is being referenced ( <script src=   </script> ) to load.  I was getting function not defined in the debug.log

I still have a few issues to sort out, but it looks like everything I was able to do  using the .Net control will work with the new Chromium control in 4.8

Todd

On 5/24/2022 10:13 PM, Todd Baremore wrote:
In 4.7.2 I can init a BLOB with File2Blb('c:\temp\mywebpage.html') and then use BrowserSetContent() to display the page in a browser control

In 4.8.1 nothing is displayed, but if I right click on the browser control and select "View Page source" the content of mywebpage.html appears.

Is this a bug?

Todd

Re: OfficeCOM for Magic XPA 4.8

Steven Burrows

AFAIK MSE never released the source for OfficeCOM, at least to the public. Not sure why they wouldn’t let you have it now that it is defunct.

We have used Heidi’s “OfficeMagic2” in the files area but that only does Excel.

For Outlook, we just “wrote” it ourselves, its easy enough with .Net Snippets most of the time. Just google what you want to do for C# or VB, then copy paste the answer – OK, its never quite that easy, but you can achieve a lot without knowing what you are doing

Steven Burrows