From: "W. Luijk" <WLuijk@...>
To: "Magic Newsgroup @ Onelist (E-mail)" <magicu-l@...>
Subject: [magicu-l] Table always must have 1 record
Date: vri, 1 jan 1999 20:22
From: "W. Luijk" <WLuijk@...>

I have a table where the sequential numbers of my whole system are stored.
I wrote a general program to retrieve a number. The parameters are a name
and a field for the returnvalue. The seq. numberstable consist of a name
field and a value field. Before I ever can retrieve a value there must be
minimal 1 record with that name. How do I test that. ?

----------
Please ensure that you respect other users of this list, and do not flame
or insult others.
Any problems please contact peter.stewart@...
----------

Re: DOS commands

Robert Andrews <squirrel@...

If the Enviroment Variable 'Command Processor' Is set correctly i dont see why you have to enter command.exe/ comand???

From: Jean Claude Servaye <msgjcs@...>

Ian Whybrow wrote:

I know this has been mentioned many time before, but I can't find it in
my mail archive.

What is the Command processor version of DOS commands when called from
Magic 8.01 in Windows 95/98. I know you need to put the command
processor in front before the command but cannot remember the precise
format.

Please use this as an example as it is the simple command that doesn't
want to work.
(i.e.: get error file not found even thought they are there)

copy archive.doc + newfile.doc archive.doc /y
command.exe /c copy archive.doc + newfile.doc archive.doc /y

in DOS this will append newfile.doc to the end of archive.doc (without
confirmation of overwrite)

Thanx muchly

Ian Whybrow
Logistics Technologies

Ian Whybrow <sales@...>
Logistics Technologies Development Corporation

Ian Whybrow
Logistics Technologies Development Corporation <sales@...>
HTML Mail
1212 Kirtstie Court, Unit 4 Cellular: 1-416-432-7005
Oakville Fax: 1-905-337-9680
Ontario Work: 1-905-337-9678
L6H 5C8
Canada
Come see us at http://www.logtech.ca Developers of SHIPMENT COMMANDER - - The first name in Shipping Software. multi-carrier, rate shopping - - powerful, flexible, user-friendly, interfaceable to most software
Additional Information:
Last Name Whybrow
First Name Ian
Version 2.1
Please ensure that you respect other users of this list, and do not flame or insult others.
Any problems please contact peter.stewart@...

Re: 3rd Party Tools list

JAKreider@...

Yoram,

I think you are right. This will be a redundancy, but a GOOD one. By having
the list, those of us who are techno nerd news junkies can get the latest news
simply by subscribing to the list. We won't have to go to MSEs web site to
find out about these tools. The mailing list also provides a forum for
discussion about tools & utilities. I, for one, would like it very much if a
group of hard core, independent tool & utility hackers rose from the ranks of
Magicians. We've got a start on it.

Your best bet is simply to monitor this new group and then contact, hassle,
cajole and threaten those of us who've written the utities to give you the
proper information to put on MSE's web site.

Viva magictools-l.

Jonathan Kreider

In a message dated 12/31/98 8:29:40 AM Eastern Standard Time, yoraml@...
writes:

Hi Peter,

I saw you rmessage regarding the new list.
Did you know that MSE maintains a free list of third party tools on its web
site. All you have to do is submit your tool to sgreenberg@...,
and it will appear on Magic's highly-trafficed site with a link back to
you.
I think the new list will be, in this specific case, a redundancy.

Regards,

YLY

Re: HASP instead LM? fraud

Geoff Greig <geoffg@...

Yoram,

MSE CAN remove the LM. It would mean that you would have to to supply the different varations of V8 eg. Desktop, client and
Entrprise Server, on different CD's. A slight inconvence for MSE but a great benefit for us.

As you correctly point out, the LM is explictly for the benefit of MSE, it provides no benefits for us. The LM only makes it more
difficult to install and maintain applications.

We have had problems with the LM. Specifically, Harry Kleimsmit could not use Magic V8 Desktop version at all because of it's
inability to read the License File. This required a full installation of a new operating system on the problem machine to resolve
the problem.

The reason I, and I am sure others, use Magic is because of the speed of development compared to other products on the market. But
this advantage is of set when you run into problems installing and maintaining Magic with the LM and or the Hasp.

V7 can be installed without a LM or a hasp. It works well.

I for one will never purchase Magic with a LM. It is simply not economically viable.

I notice you do not give your distributors the option to distribute V8 without the LM.

Geoff Greig
No 1 Software Protection Hatr
Brisbane Australia

From: "Yoram Lev-Yehudi" <yoraml@...>

Dear David,

I think there had been some confusion with the statement made by Yaki in
the UC in Orlando.
IMHO, your reaction to the issue is quite extreme. We like a good sense of
homour, but let me be serious for a minute and clear some things for you
and for the rest of the community:

First, Yaki never lies or makes promises he can't deliver. He like to put
the things on the table. That's his nature. Period.

Second, you have to distinguish between the Licence Server (will be called
"LS") and the License Manager (will be called "LM"). Both parts constrauct
the full Licensing mechanism. Most of the technical problems were with the
LS, which serve as a user count mechanism. MSE has decided to remove the
LS, therefore. The LM remains in place, becuase this is the way we are
implementing the activation of the different products of Magic, i.e. the
code you supply to the LM differentiate between, for example - Desktop
client and Entrprise Server. Hence, we cannot remove LM mechnism. This fact
shouldn't bother by itself, because we now use the LM as a simple
registration utility for our internal needs. From now on, no need for
tcp/ip, annoying license process on the server, etc. All you need is a
license file, serves as an activation key to the product, supplied
officially by MSE.

Third, regarding the HASPS. Well, this depends on which country you're
using Magic. As you know, in certain countries, like the US, UK, France and
many other that have strict law systems - we do not protect our software at
all, since the very moment that Yaki declared in the UC about that. Still,
there are cases, like Mexico, for example, where we keep HASP protection
for the product. Otherwise, we cannot handle efficiently licensing
violations. This decision is taken in the field level, i.e. each
distributor in each country can decide whether he wants to sell protected
Magic or not protected. I guess the Mexican distributor made his choice...

This information should explain the confusion. Please don't hesitate to
contact me if you have comments.

Cordially,

YLY

Please ensure that you respect other users of this list, and do not flame or insult others.
Any problems please contact peter.stewart@...

Re: Export Import

Geoff Greig <geoffg@...

Micha,

As I have only just discovered this feature myself, I have only tested it in V8.1.

The syntax for the INI file may be different in V5. I will have to check with my source and get back to you.

From: Micha Weiss <msmicha@...>

Geoff !

Just tried it in magic 5.72 and coulde not see a change !?

Micha Huji

From: Geoff Greig <geoffg@...>

Robert,

You can open dynamically open a databse file based on an expression.

It is entered in the DB Names table, in the Exp Column.

Also the easyest way to import one application into another in to use the Magic Undocumented Internal Seral Number facility. This
has been in Magic since the very early versions but is not supported by MSE. So use it on the understanding that it is
unsupported. Just like Tab cards in V6.

If you place:

EnableChangeIsn = Y

anywere in the [MAGIC_ENV] section of in the MAGIC.INI file then Magic's Internal serial number will be implemented the next time
Magic is started.

It can then be viewed in the Program dictionary and set in the CTL Properties. It is thenpossible to export all or part of a Magic
application with the Magic Internal serial Number.

Providing the Internal Serial Numbers are set correctly it is possible to merger 2 applications together any way you want. But
with all merging of applications care should be taken.

Geoff Greig
No 1 Software Protecton Hatr
Curently en route to Brisbane

From: Robert Andrews <squirrel@...>

So unless you know the application that the exported file will be imported into you cannot do this.
Seems pretty dumb ?
I suppose this gets back to the prob where you cannot dynamicly open a database based on an expression.

Please ensure that you respect other users of this list, and do not flame or insult others.
Any problems please contact peter.stewart@...
Please ensure that you respect other users of this list, and do not flame or insult others.
Any problems please contact peter.stewart@...

Re: 3rd Party Tools list

Greg Whelan <greg@...

Gee Norbert, Yoram was just trying to be helpful, cool your jets.

--
Greg Whelan, President
Industrial Computer Systems, Inc.

From: Norbert Gutscher/NGS<dngs@...>

The difference is:

We like independence.

Regards
NG

"Yoram Lev-Yehudi" <yoraml@...> on 31.12.98 16:29:43
Please respond to magicu-l@...
To: "<stewart" <peter.stewart@...>
cc: "Magic Users Forum" <magicu-l@...>
Subject: [magicu-l] 3rd Party Tools list

From: "Yoram Lev-Yehudi" <yoraml@...>

Hi Peter,

I saw you rmessage regarding the new list.
Did you know that MSE maintains a free list of third party tools on its web
site. All you have to do is submit your tool to sgreenberg@...,
and it will appear on Magic's highly-trafficed site with a link back to
you.
I think the new list will be, in this specific case, a redundancy.

Regards,

YLY

Please ensure that you respect other users of this list, and do not flame or insult others.
Any problems please contact peter.stewart@...

HAPPY NEW YEAR

Ian Whybrow <sales@...

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE !!!!

May 1999 bring you all happiness and prosperity.

I for one intend to become filthy disgusting rich this year. Wish me
luck.

Ian Whybrow
Logistics Technologies

Re: HASP instead LM? fraud

"Mark Bailey" <mbailey@...

From your clarification below I clearly understand that now (does this mean
V8.2c) only the LM will be needed and not the LS?

If so I have not been able to get V8.2 working without the LS running. What
is the trick?

Happy New Year
Mark Bailey

[...]

"Charles George" <cg7@...

Mail Parser Notification from the Marketing Auto-Parser:

geeky little add-ons
Notice: "geeky" should be replaced with terms like *cool* and *neat*

-B.G.

Re: error 62

russell <russell@...

Error 62 is incorrect Get Next Extended packet description error. You
might want to turn extended operations off. That's the DBMS table,
Btrieve
/EXTENDED=N

Russell Houser
Advanced Travel Systems

From: "John Knickerbocker" <johnk@...>

Periodically receiving "DBMS error during fetch operation - 62" for
reads
from existing databases. Client locations are not getting this error,
the
files are transferred to this location, and then when I try to browse,

receive the error. I can do a re-index to the file to correct the
situation,
but shouldn't have to, there is nothing wrong with the file.

Any ideas??? Magic 8.01, btrieve 6.15 workstation

John Knickerbocker - President
Botanical Research Corp.
9320 SW 104 Ave.
Miami, Fl. USA 33176
305-279-8101 Fax 305-270-9416

-------------
-------------

"Yoram Lev-Yehudi" <yoraml@...

[...]

Craig Martin <craig_martin@...

Norbert Gutscher writes:
The difference is:
We like independence.
Independence is usually a good thing to aim
for (I don't say that just because of Scottish sensibilities
though those are reason enough!)

But it's more than that.
At first I thought, well, the traffic on it
is gonna be 3 messages a month so why
bother but I'm looking for it to give me, us
the chance to not only obsess about our
geeky little add-ons but also to share
skills and pose a wider
range of questions on lots of non-Magic
issues that we're exposed to as IT practitioners
but still 'with a Magic slant'.

Being seperate means it doesn't cause
hassle to the folks in the mainstream group
who might otherwise think it off-topic.

If nobody uses it, fine, we can abandon it.
But let's see what it's worth.

That complements magic's 3rd party listing
rather than supersedes it.

Happy New Year when it hits you,
I'm outta here...

Craig

3rd Party Tools list

"Yoram Lev-Yehudi" <yoraml@...

Hi Peter,

I saw you rmessage regarding the new list.
Did you know that MSE maintains a free list of third party tools on its web
site. All you have to do is submit your tool to sgreenberg@...,
and it will appear on Magic's highly-trafficed site with a link back to
you.
I think the new list will be, in this specific case, a redundancy.

Regards,

YLY

Magic licensing

Marc Logemann <m_logemann@...

Yoram and others,

First of all, for me its not clear what is the difference of the LM and the LS, i just installed the 8.2 and the LM is running as DOS-box in my win98 environment, this LM reads the license.dat file and handles the validation of the regcode, ok, but what does the LS and when does it come into play?

Anyway, we talk about violation of software rigths and how to prevent this. First i must say, a product that has a permanent dos box open seems to be very oldschool. I dont know what others think, but if a newcommer installs magic 8.2 and see this dos box, he wonders if he just bought a new product. And by the way, there are many better ways to protect your software. Just take a look at the shareware market with its huge utilities and programs, they all have software protection, but i have never seen a dos product.

So, normal product code validation is certainly no problem for all security products on the market, the second point MSE could mention is the "counting hits" problem in the universal client/server product. This seems to be the only reason to use this LM, but i cant believe that this counting problem can only solved by the LM.

Again, i dont have anything against software protection (with all its weaknesses) but if the software protection produces more work for the endusers, its the wrong one. I just remember the times when harry or geoff (dont know who it was exactly) spent many many hours in this LM/LS. This cant be ok. Even Microsoft can handle this problem without problems after registration / validation.

So the big question, are the magic developers too stupid to install programs or is the security product within magic stupid?

Marc

The LM remains in place, becuase this is the way we are
implementing the activation of the different products of Magic, i.e. the
code you supply to the LM differentiate between, for example - Desktop
client and Entrprise Server. Hence, we cannot remove LM mechnism. This
fact
shouldn't bother by itself, because we now use the LM as a simple
registration utility for our internal needs. From now on, no need for

Re: Problems with refresh window (new to version 8.01)

russell <russell@...

<HTML>
Sounds like the problem is the sequence
<BR>1) Magic initializes screen using existing value in the top task
<BR>2) You change the value in the field by calling task 3
<BR>3) Magic has no reason to refresh the screen display

<P>You might try defining a virtual in task 2 inited to the field in task
1.&nbsp; Then display the task 2 virtual not the task 1 field.&nbsp; Then
changing the value in task 1 will cause a re-init which will cause a screen
refresh.

<P>Russell Houser
<BR>Advanced Travel Systems
<BR>&nbsp;

<P>Claudio Corso wrote:
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE>&nbsp;

<P>From: Claudio Corso&nbsp;<claudio@...><TT>Hi,</TT>

<P><TT>I made up a program that has 3 tasks. They correspond to a one to
many relationship.</TT>

<P><TT>The first one is batch and has a virtual variable (total).</TT>
<BR><TT>The second one is online and displays the var. total.</TT>
<BR><TT>The third one sums up the total for all the records.</TT>

<P><TT>When I change a record in the 2nd task I call in record preffix
the 3rd task to sum in total but the total is not displayed in the 2nd
task. When I change records again I find that the old total is displayed.</TT>

<P><TT>This didn't happen in previous versions.</TT>

<P><TT>PS: If I define the total in the 2nd task, when the user engages
in create mode, he cannot press 'Esc' and abandon the record because it
checks all the record main.</TT></BLOCKQUOTE>
</HTML>

Re: 3rd Party Tools list

Norbert Gutscher/NGS<dngs@...

To: "<stewart" <peter.stewart@...>
cc: "Magic Users Forum" <magicu-l@...>

From: "Yoram Lev-Yehudi" <yoraml@...>

Hi Peter,

I saw you rmessage regarding the new list.
Did you know that MSE maintains a free list of third party tools on its web
site. All you have to do is submit your tool to sgreenberg@...,
and it will appear on Magic's highly-trafficed site with a link back to
you.
I think the new list will be, in this specific case, a redundancy.

Regards,

YLY

DLLs in ver 8.2

"Devori Farkash" <devon@...

Hi,

Did anyone encounter problems using the CallDLL function?
How do you send a NULL value?

When I tested the function some DLLs worked some caused magic to crash, probably do to arguments or return code type, do you know of other reasons why this could happen?

One DLL that I tried is a void function that receives three parameters of int*,
if I send only three parameters (I tried '222','444' and 'LLL') I get the message "Wrong number of arguments', if I do send 'O' as the fourth argument I get the message "Invalid type of return value' (other types for the fourth argument resulted in a crash). Any ideas what to do?

Thanx!
Devori

Problems with refresh window (new to version 8.01)

Claudio Corso <claudio@...

<tt>Hi,</tt>
many relationship.</tt>
the 3rd task to sum in total but the total is not displayed in the 2nd
task. When I change records again I find that the old total is displayed.</tt>
in create mode, he cannot press 'Esc' and abandon the record because it
checks all the record main.</tt></html>

Re: Btrieve server optimization

"Bev Lawton" <bev.lawton@...

Gijs,
After reading the Btrieve 6.15 Extended=N discussion I tried it on
Ver 7.11a/6.15
I failed to notice in the Title of the posting that this applied to Magic
Ver 8.
My findings were that EXTENDED=N and 7.11a SLOWED response down by a factor
of 2-3.
Perhaps I'm doing something wrong - anyone else tried this on Ver 7?
Regards,
Bev Lawton.

From: Bogdan Mugerli <bogdan@...>

Hi to all

We are testing our Magic 7.1d application with Btrieve server 6.15 on
Novell 4.11 for the first time and we are pretty much dissapointed about
speed.

We have a 10 mb application located on novell server.
Btrieve server settings are:
BTRIEVE -p=4096 -f=128 -h=150 -l=20 -t=15 -u=0 -s=30 -m=4096(we tried more
with no result)
BSPXCOM d-=8192 -s=15 -w=3 -r=1500

Btrieve local settings are as recomended by MSE:
operation bundle limit =25
initiation time limit = 100
disk i/o wait limit = 100

when we change from local engine to requester it runs slightly faster
1.2 to 2 times faster.
I've heard that it should ran 10 times faster.

Particular program within application is opening about 30 to 35 files
simultaneously and working very hard with them. All files are opened
exclusively.

I will appreciate any help from magic group.

Bogdan

Please ensure that you respect other users of this list, and do not flame
or insult others.
Any problems please contact peter.stewart@...
Please ensure that you respect other users of this list, and do not flame
or insult others.
Any problems please contact peter.stewart@...

Re: MUSE (was Information needed)

Craig Martin <craig_martin@...

By the way how come all you UK Magic users are NOT a member of MUSE?<
How much and when is the next conference?
How many signed-up members are there?
Can MUSE secure any discounts on Magic licenses
due to group bulk purchases? :-)

Happy Holidays!
Craig
UK