Magic XPA Tools infrastructure - Export fails with "invalid tool operation" #singleuser #tools

Andreas Sedlmeier

Hi Group!

I built me a Magic XPA component which integrates with the Magic tools infrastructure. It works basically fine, I can use it to create cabinet files with "ECF" operation.

"Export" operation however does not work. If I enable in my pre-script/post-script one of the "Export" lines I get message "Invalid tool operation" in status file when I try to start the tool from Tools menu - and the tool does not load at all. Here is the "pre-script":
https://github.com/asedl/xpaxmltest/blob/master/XPATests/Scripts/xpa_tool/compile_pre.xpts

Anbody familiar with the tools infrastructure knows what the issue could be ? Export command seems ok and according to documentation.

I won't ask if this is a "SingleUser license issue". ECF operation works fine.

TIA

Andreas

Magic XPA 3.3 Single User

Frederik Soete

Hi,

I have not tried this, Andreas. I only took a long look at the sparse help file over the internet. But I suppose you need "Export, ..., Repository=A" instead of "Export, ..., A". Good luck.

Frederik Soete

Op za 2 jun. 2018 12:29 schreef Andreas Sedlmeier <sedlmeier@...>:

[...]

Hi Frederic!

Works like a charme now :)

I indeed oversaw this Repository= for the switch although the quality of the help page for "Export" toolkit operation is far above Magic Helpfile standard ^^

Thanks for looking into this!

Andreas

Frederik Soete

Hi Andreas,

You're welcome. Enjoy your weekend. It appears you do enjoy tinkering with the Magic engine, despite your sporadic criticism. ^^

Bye.

FS

Op za 2 jun. 2018 12:59 schreef Andreas Sedlmeier <sedlmeier@...>:

Hi Frederic!

Works like a charme now :)

I indeed oversaw this Repository= for the switch although the quality of the help page for "Export" toolkit operation is far above Magic Helpfile standard ^^

Thanks for looking into this!

Thanks, a nice weekend to you too.

Yes, I have a Magic version for playing and some pretty cool stuff in the pipeline :)

Re the criticism I am at the point what many people wrote here in the group when it was more busy (and when I was actually working for Magic^^): Tool is great, company sucks.

Truth is somewhere in the middle.

There's (at least) two bugs btw. in this functionality, I saw yesterday. Don't know if known ones ...

1.) "T" and "D" repository switches both produce datasources XML file. Application properties (original "D") you cannot get at all anymore therefore. I suppose this bug is there since Table repository has been renamed to data source repository.

2.) When you create a TOOL Magic produces VS solution and project files in root directory of the application. I suppose this is a minor issue and has no side effects because they are not used anyways. Basically the definition of this TOOL application conflicts with the definition of the host application, they use the same source directory in project file.

Next to this I had a lot of crashes, XPA 3.3 is really touchy, but my "Magic compiler" works now basically :)

Andreas