Repository structure in Magic Xpa / Unipaas #mgpivot #tools

Becky Mannie <bendebch@...>

Have been using github for quite aometime. Unfortenately my files are being over written and cant really check the history in github. Anyone can suggest  better way to manage repository for Unipaas

Andreas Sedlmeier

Hi Backy,

If you did by mistake overwrite your files then I suggest that you restore the previous version or undo some commits. Thats what a version control system is good for and Git, which is used on Githib is one of those.

With Magic Git is a problem because Git allows multiple checkouts. There's howver now a Xpa version which actually supports Git, I think.

Most Magic shops I think do work with Microsoft TFS

Becky Mannie <bendebch@...>

TFS has the same problem.
checkout, checkin does tge same problem. Infact TFS which quite expensive, comes with the same problem as with Git for magic.

Sunday, 17 February 2019, 11:27AM +13:00 from Andreas Sedlmeier sedlmeier@...:

Hi Backy,

If you did by mistake overwrite your files then I suggest that you restore the previous version or undo some commits. Thats what a version control system is good for and Git, which is used on Githib is one of those.

With Magic Git is a problem because Git allows multiple checkouts. There's howver now a Xpa version which actually supports Git, I think.

Most Magic shops I think do work with Microsoft TFS

Becky,

You can change TFS so it only allows for one person to checkout an object at a time. I’ve had mine set that way going back to 2014.

Not sure what version you’re using, but this should give you the info on where to set the value.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/devops/repos/tfvc/configure-check-out-settings?view=azure-devops

Keith

checkout, checkin does tge same problem. Infact TFS which quite expensive, comes with the same problem as with Git for magic.

Sunday, 17 February 2019, 11:27AM +13:00 from Andreas Sedlmeier sedlmeier@...:

Hi Backy,

If you did by mistake overwrite your files then I suggest that you restore the previous version or undo some commits. Thats what a version control system is good for and Git, which is used on Githib is one of those.

With Magic Git is a problem because Git allows multiple checkouts. There's howver now a Xpa version which actually supports Git, I think.

Most Magic shops I think do work with Microsoft TFS

Roberto Gauer

Hi!

We use tfs for version control on xpa, and apply on collection a rule to edp and xml extensions to not permit merge... works fine :)

On Sat, Feb 16, 2019 at 11:22 PM Keith Canniff <kcanniff@...> wrote:

[...]

Gábor Bor

Hy,

You could use PushokSVN, but it is an older option.

Best regards,
Gábor

Becky Mannie <bendebch@...>

Well merge control is fine for me on Git, but since i use it from Github, it ends up in conflicts.

Monday, 18 February 2019, 04:49AM +13:00 from Roberto Gauer gawarez@...:

[...]

Yes we use a similar tool for GIT, but we arent using Git from Magic xpa ide, we use Xml sources in to github.
As you know, unfortunately in magic i end up in conflicts when we check out in git hub and try pushing our changes. The conflicts are pretty hard to resolve.
TFS, VSS are some old stuff used directly on magic xpa, but we would like to have it controlled via github. Only thing i dont know is how do we avoid conflicta when multiple people work on the same source code checked out.

Monday, 18 February 2019, 05:53AM +13:00 from Gábor Bor bor.gabor@...:

Hy,

You could use PushokSVN, but it is an older option.

Best regards,
Gábor

Andreas Sedlmeier

Edited

Hi Becky,

With Git its not possible to completely avoid merge conflicts because it's designed for largescale distributed work and it's always possible that multiple people work on the same object. Those Merge conflicts you have to solve when you check.in (commit & push) your changes. See following docuement: ftp://ftp.magicsoftware.com/xpaproduct/Documents/Connecting%20Magic%20xpa%20to%20a%20Git%20Repository%20via%20PushOK.pdf

For TFS there's a free (up to 5 developers) Express edition which you can install on Premise and a free cloud offering (visualstudio.com). Both will work with Magic, its just a little bit complicated to install (onPrem and client machines) and when I did that last time (maybe 4 years ago) it was .... close to a nightmare. Just query the message archive here in magic user group. At the end, you might get everything to work - maybe just not the latest TFS version because you need one which supports the MSSCCI API resp. have a provider for that and that's actually the legacy stuff. TFS is not. Also check documents like that: https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/tfssetup/2017/07/25/connecting-to-tfs-2017-using-vs-2008msscci-provider-for-2013/

There's some more version control systems which are a bit simpler than TFS and have a MSSCCI provider - to get it work with Magic. And if you still have VSS (Visual Source Safe) and do not mind that its an unsupported discontinued product from Microsoft, that should just work fine. Use it until MSE adds nateive support for Git and major VCS to the tools (which is most likely to happen: never).

Personally I use Github for public personal stuff and Gitlab and Bitbucket for commercial things. Gitlab is open source, you can install it in your own network (or in the cloud) too. I just do not really use it with Magic because I have only Single User and that has no version control support at all -.-

Becky Mannie <bendebch@...>

Thank you Andreas, just TFS is an expensive solution and like you said i personally like github, bit bucket and gitlab.
since you said, you are using these havent you faced conflicts?
How do you ensure no. conflicts happen?

Monday, 18 February 2019, 09:38AM +13:00 from Andreas Sedlmeier sedlmeier@...:

Hi Becky,

With Git its not possible to completely avoid merge conflicts because it's designed for largescale distributed work and it's always possible that multiple people work on the same object. Those Merge conflicts you have to solve when you check.in (commit & push) your changes. See following docuement: file:///C:/Users/sedlm/Downloads/Connecting%20Magic%20xpa%20to%20a%20Git%20Repository%20via%20PushOK.pdf

[...]

As Andreas mentioned, TFS is free for 5 users or less. I’ve used the cloud solution (visualstudio.com) for 5 years now without an issue. You just have to use an older version of Team Explorer and the MSSCCI connector which have been documented on the group.

Going this route there are no conflict issues. Magic works just the way its expected. Everything is done within Magic (no check in/check out outside of Magic) so it’s seamless.

Certainly, if you have more than 5 developers then you’re correct it can get expensive.

As for Git, it works great for other languages other than Magic. I’m still waiting on a reply from MSE for better doc on how to use Git properly with XPA. Once I get that I’ll share it on with the group.

Keith

[...]

There was some recently change, now from visualstudio.com to:

On Sun, Feb 17, 2019 at 9:57 PM Keith Canniff <kcanniff@...> wrote:

[...]

xpa on latest version 3.3c works with team explorer 2013 and msscci 2013 provider.

On Sun, Feb 17, 2019 at 10:03 PM Roberto Gauer via Groups.Io <gawarez=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:

[...]

Darren

Specifically for UniPaaS we still use the Microsoft Visual Sourcesafe.

For Magic XPA we have the 3.3b version and using Team Foundation Server. But by default, multiple users are allowed to check out the repository. You can can change it after wards to 1 user per source.

Becky Mannie <bendebch@...>

why are you checking out only one xml? dont you checkout the whole source files? cause wht if dev team has to work on multiple program?

Monday, 18 February 2019, 02:13PM +13:00 from Darren darren.jimenez@...:

Specifically for UniPaaS we still use the Microsoft Visual Sourcesafe.

For Magic XPA we have the 3.3b version and using Team Foundation Server. But by default, multiple users are allowed to check out the repository. You can can change it after wards to 1 user per source.

Darren

You can select multiple items to be checked out, technically you can check it all out but the point of having a Source Control is to just check-out items that you only need to so that you won't be able to accidentally modify other items. Also if you check out all the sources then your will be the only one that can modify all the repositories.

If other members need to check out other items then they can also check it out. If they try to check out a checked-out program by another member, an Error Prompt will appear like below:

Becky Mannie <bendebch@...>

This is probably what i am doing wrong.. i have the whole source checked out completely each time i work on a new stuff. I just created branch for the whole project and i checked in checked out the whole projects.

Monday, 18 February 2019, 03:16PM +13:00 from Darren darren.jimenez@...:

You can select multiple items to be checked out, technically you can check it all out but the point of having a Source Control is to just check-out items that you only need to so that you won't be able to accidentally modify other items. Also if you check out all the sources then your will be the only one that can modify all the repositories.

If other members need to check out other items then they can also check it out. If they try to check out a checked-out program by another member, an Error Prompt will appear like below:

Becky Mannie <bendebch@...>

So when i uploaded the whole source code as a one repository, Can i still check out indvidual xml files per branch?

Monday, 18 February 2019, 04:03PM +13:00 from Becky Mannie via Groups.Io bendebch@...:

[...]

Yes you can check-out individual xml files per branch but make sure to check-in all of in before doing so.