Cannot Open RIA app via ClickOnce on some client's PC, Issue with Windows 10 1903 Windows Defender. #ria #xpa

Darren

Hello Everyone,

A number of users reported that they clicked Start and nothing was happening, so I tried to remote one of the users and checked task manager what is happening. I found out that the application opens for 1-2 seconds and closes again.

I had to confirm with MSE what was happening and I was informed that windows defender update flags the application as a trojan.

For now we are disabling windows defender real time protection for the affected users so that they can use our application and for them to be able to proceed with their work.
Before I came up with completely disabling the real time protection but still experienced the issue, I tried:

  • adding the MgxpaRIA.exe to the process exclusions
  • %userprofile%\AppData\Local\Apps\ to folder exclusions

For now MSE is working on a permanent solution, but for the mean time, do you have any other ideas rather than disabling real-time protection?

Best Regards,

Darren

Tim Downie

Ive been here

You just need to go into windows where its seen as a threat , and say ignore this. There appears to be no way to be able to just say ignore this exe in a list.
It needs to be seen a a threat first

In windows security center - look under Virus & Threat protection , then under Scan history , if you have detected threats they are here - find the ria.exe and go ignore.
(BTW : you have no idea how long it took to find the screen i mention above).

What i dont get , we have a lot of RIA users very few see it this problem , from what i can see i can have two machines with all windows updates and one has the issues and the other doesnt

[...]

Roman Goldenberg

Hi,
A solution for us was to stop windows defender  for first time ria application opening and after that to start defender back.
Also we checked mgxparia.exe for trojan and it was safety,

Darren

Hi Tim,

I looked into the the scan history and MgxpaRIA.exe is not a threat.

Same thing is happening on my side that I am also using Windows 10 1903 on my personal PC with all the latest updates and not experiencing the problem.

--------------------------------

Hi Roman,

Yes this is the other alternative solution but our users strictly uses Windows Defender as their Virus Protection software.

To All,

I have exactly the same issue with this post: https://magicu-l.groups.io/g/main/message/190655?p=,,,20,0,0,0::Created,,windows+10,20,2,0,32228522

Best Regards,
Darren

Tim Downie

What I said has for us fixed this on at least 10 machines

I looked into the the scan history and MgxpaRIA.exe is not a threat.

Same thing is happening on my side that I am also using Windows 10 1903 on my personal PC with all the latest updates and not experiencing the problem.

--------------------------------

Hi Roman,

Yes this is the other alternative solution but our users strictly uses Windows Defender as their Virus Protection software.

To All,

I have exactly the same issue with this post: https://magicu-l.groups.io/g/main/message/190655?p=,,,20,0,0,0::Created,,windows+10,20,2,0,32228522

Best Regards,
Darren

unipaas_programmer@...

We had the exact same issue as well, we tried different things with the exclusion of the folder, file etc. and did not work, only workaround was to use the exclude process option and use the full path to the client RIA executable:
c:\users\username\AppData\Local\Apps\2.0\obfuscatedfoldername\obfuscatedfoldername\appname\mgxpaRia.exe

Now, if only we can actually define where our application would be installed on the client machine that would be great, instead of having to update each machine manually.

Darren

Hi Tim,

Thanks for the information. Will take a look at the user's PC again and double check this.

-----------------------

hi unipaas_programmer

How did you exclude the process option? can you show a screenshot?

unipaas_programmer@...

Under Windows defender go to Virus & threat protection > Virus & threat protection settings > Exclusions > Add or remove exclusions > Add and exclusion > Process, then enter the whole path for the mgxpaRia.exe including the executable.

Darren

Hi Everyone,

Entering the whole path for process exclusion worked for me.
Made a batch file to trace and output it to text file where it is located.

Thank you all for your help!

Best Regards,
Darren