MagicXPA45 Webclient install failure

Johan Vissenberg

Hi fellow Magicians,

I tried to install MagicXPA45 and develop a Webclient application (HelloWorld) in MagicXPA45.
Ehhh it doesn't not work at all.
Installing MagicXPA45 (followed the guide from https://magicweb.io/docs/introduction/quickstart) is different than displayed at this site.
i.e. Java (if you do a fresh install in a new development pc) is not installed default with MagicXPA45. You have to do it manually (why?)
If you make a mistake during the installation, that's it. You will never get MagicXAP45 installed again on this pc (why?) De-installing won't help, just
forget this pc and MagicXPA45.
Ok, at the end I figured out how to install MagicXPA45 on a pc.
Luckaly I installed MagicXPA45 on a virtual pc, so I can get rid of it, when the installation fails (and this happened a lot).
Next step is installing Node.js. This is straigth forward.
Then installing NPM is also straigth forward.
Then installing Angular/CLI. Looks like it is working ok , but....
OK, now it looks like MagicXPA45 is ready for development for a WebClient application.
I followed the HelloWorld tutorial, but this tutorial is for an old MagicXPA4.. version.
The site is not up to date with MagicXPA45 at all.
At the end I managed to build the HelloWorld app.
Now we are going to try to build the Angular/Cli part.
Ohh dear bunch of massive errors. No clue at all what's this means and how to solve the issues.
You can see the errors at the end of this message.
Clearly the product is not ready for serious development.
Documentation is outdated or minimal information, and so on.
I think I agree with Andreas, maybe it is time to move away from Magic.
It took me a few days trying to install and develop a easy HelloWorld application.
But it failed every time, with unknown erros.
What a waste of time it was.
The examples on the site will not run, because they are for an old MagicXPA4. version.

Regards,
Johan Vissenberg

Generation warnings/errors:
npm WARN saveError ENOENT: no such file or directory, open 'C:\Magic\MagicXPA45\Projects\HelloWorld\output\package.json'
npm notice created a lockfile as package-lock.json. You should commit this file.
npm WARN enoent ENOENT: no such file or directory, open 'C:\Magic\MagicXPA45\Projects\HelloWorld\output\package.json'
npm WARN output No description
npm WARN output No repository field.
npm WARN output No README data
npm WARN output No license field.
npm WARN optional SKIPPING OPTIONAL DEPENDENCY: fsevents@1.2.9 (node_modules\fsevents):
npm WARN notsup SKIPPING OPTIONAL DEPENDENCY: Unsupported platform for fsevents@1.2.9: wanted {"os":"darwin","arch":"any"} (current: {"os":"win32","arch":"x64"})

'ng' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.
Het systeem kan het opgegeven pad niet vinden.
'ng' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.
npm WARN saveError ENOENT: no such file or directory, open 'C:\Magic\MagicXPA45\Projects\HelloWorld\output\package.json'
npm WARN enoent ENOENT: no such file or directory, open 'C:\Magic\MagicXPA45\Projects\HelloWorld\output\package.json'
npm WARN output No description
npm WARN output No repository field.
npm WARN output No README data
npm WARN output No license field.
npm WARN optional SKIPPING OPTIONAL DEPENDENCY: fsevents@1.2.9 (node_modules\fsevents):
npm WARN notsup SKIPPING OPTIONAL DEPENDENCY: Unsupported platform for fsevents@1.2.9: wanted {"os":"darwin","arch":"any"} (current: {"os":"win32","arch":"x64"})

magic.user.list

Hi Johan,

Java is not bundled anymore because of restrictions from Oracle. Software vendors are not allowed anymore to bundle java with their products. So you need to retrieve it yourself and install it.

I don't recognise the installation and de-installation problems you describe: Speaking for myself, I have been doing XPA4.x installations on a variety of systems from the first beta unitil the last 4.5a really without problems. Just make sure you have IIS installed, the right java versions, and a proper database (not really needed as there is SQLite or XML databases, but I prefer SQL server, that's personal). I have never had any trouble removing XPA 4.x.

Are you sure you have Administrator privileges on the system you are working on? Same goes for the errors at the end of your message: Among your errors is a command line response that the ng executable cannot be found. So either Angular is not installed properly, or somehow outside the path environment variable...

This is a serious flaw. If you can't run ng, then nothing after that works. So let's first try to resolve this issue...

Can you do (from command line) ng --version

What does it output?

If again not found (so you get something like: 'ng' is not recognized as an internal or external command) do the following:

Download the nodejs using the proper link (fitting your system, either X86 for 32bit of x64 for 64bit windows) from the last screen of the XPA installation gave you:

And install it.

run a command prompt *as administrator* (Windows key, type 'CMD', right click on it, select 'run as administrator')

type: npm install -g @angular/cli

Now open a new cmd prompt and type ng --version

You should get some ASCII ART angular logo, and something like:

Angular CLI: 8.3.0
Node: 10.16.0
etc...etc...

If that works, then try to build/run your hello world again. Let's see how far we get... if you get stuck, post it in the group and we'll try to overcome the next hurdle...

Good luck!

---
Regards,

Mario Reuser
M: +31 6 54907141
E: mreuser@...

Mage - Magic Engineering
Postbus 36170
1020 MD  Amsterdam
www.mage.nl

Johan Vissenberg schreef op 2019-10-08 08:54:

[...]

Hi Mario,

ng -version: 10.16.3 and Angular 8.3.8

After building the HelloWorld app, I run in VSC ng serve --sourceMap false (according the documentation)
Start the application in MagicXPA45
Start the "website" in the browser with http://localhost:4200
And nothing happens.
No requests to the Broker, just an empty white form.

No clue whatso ever what is going wrong.

Regards,
Johan Vissenberg

magic.user.list

Hi Johan,

Okay, so does NG Serve compiles the angular error free? (it takes some time, depending on how fast your system is, for instance on my MacBook Pro with 2.5ghz i5 cpu (Windows 10 VM under VMWare Fusion) it takes like 2 minutes the first time, subsequent compiles are faster)

So patience is one... :) Checking if NG Serve has no errors is two...

If still nothing happens: Please check the .\src\assets\server-config.json and see if the protocol, requester, app name, etc... are correct. Replace the ip number for "server" with localhost, or 127.0.0.1 in case an external ip number is used. (on some systems that made the difference, not always)

What browser do you use? I only use Chrome...

Other checks you can perform to pinpoint where stuff goes wrong:

Keep checking your broker monitor, to see if there are requests coming in.

Does the browser show the Angular logo (as defined in 'Favicon.ico' in your .\src folder) ?

Also try to put some HTML stuff in the <body> section of the .\src\index.html and see if it gets displayed. This will tell you if the 'ng serve' part works well...

Hope that helps...

---
Regards,

Mario Reuser
M: +31 6 54907141
E: mreuser@...

Mage - Magic Engineering
Postbus 36170
1020 MD  Amsterdam
www.mage.nl

Johan Vissenberg schreef op 2019-10-08 15:19:

Hi Mario,

ng -version: 10.16.3 and Angular 8.3.8

After building the HelloWorld app, I run in VSC ng serve --sourceMap false (according the documentation)
Start the application in MagicXPA45
Start the "website" in the browser with http://localhost:4200
And nothing happens.
No requests to the Broker, just an empty white form.

No clue whatso ever what is going wrong.

Regards,
Johan Vissenberg

Andreas Sedlmeier

On Tue, Oct 8, 2019 at 08:54 AM, Johan Vissenberg wrote:
I think I agree with Andreas, maybe it is time to move away from Magic.
When did I write this ?? For me sounds like Craig ^^. Blame him :)

That does of course not mean that I never wrote that Magic does not much sense in this or that specific case, ... re Angular client I did however never write much, I dont know it at all.

If 'ng' is not recognized the Angular CLI is not installed.

I would suggest to do the tour of heroes or any other good tutorial for Angular before you start with "Angular & Magic"

Kévin Prado

Hi Johan,

To solve your problems, try to add this line in the file "output\HelloWorld\src\polyfills.ts"

(window as any).global = window;

It is to add to this place:

/***************************************************************************************************
 * Zone JS is required by default for Angular itself.
 */
import 'zone.js/dist/zone';  // Included with Angular CLI.
(window as any).global = window;

I hope this will solve your worries.

Regards,

Kévin Prado

Johan Vissenberg

Hi Mario,

The change in .\src\assets\server-config.json to 127.0.0.1 and the suggestion from Kévin Prado did the trick.
Now at the end I got the HelloWorld up and running.
Why is this not all documented by Magic?

Thanks for your advice.

Regards,
Johan Vissenberg

Johan Vissenberg

Hi Kévin,
Your setting did help to solve these issues with MagicXPA45 Webclient.

Johan Vissenberg

magic.user.list

Hi Johan,

Good to hear that it works now. Nice to be of help.

I don't work for MSE, so I can't tell you why it is not documented. On the other hand, it's a fairly small team, doing a hell of a lot of work. These guys are really moving mountains!! Obviously documentation falls a bit behind in the proces. (ever worked with Magic XPI? Then this would sound familiar. :))

And...this can be annoying, especially when you get out of your comfort zone, like the web client is forcing us to do.

But let's be frank: As Magic developers we've been spoiled for decades. From the beginning in the mid 80's we have always worked with a tool that did EVERYTHING for us. We never had to worry about learning stuff like SQL, building schema's, or concepts about building a GUI (other than the form editor offered us).

As a single person 'development team', one could open a new application, press 'F4' and start building a massive application without the need to ever enter a different 'studio' then wat Magic offered us. Many of us have built their complete careers by only using this single development tool.

When it comes to web development, these days are gone. Now you have to gather knowledge about understanding the concept of a web application en specifically need to train yourself in HTML, CSS, JS, etc... if you still want to be able to do everything yourself.

So basically that's the message. We need to start gaining knowledge about web development, and to be specific: Building single page applications (SPA) using Angular.

A few messages ago Andreas pointed to https://angular.io and I agree that would be a good starting point to get to know the concept, from a point of view that doesn't involve Magic from the start. This will teach you what the Angular part is. From there start with the Magic Web client (https://magicweb.io), and then you can see what the involvement of Magic XPA is in the process of designing and building a Magic XPA Web SPA.

---

Mario Reuser
M: +31 6 54907141
E: mreuser@...

Mage - Magic Engineering
Postbus 36170
1020 MD  Amsterdam
www.mage.nl

Johan Vissenberg schreef op 2019-10-09 08:06:

Hi Mario,

The change in .\src\assets\server-config.json to 127.0.0.1 and the suggestion from Kévin Prado did the trick.
Now at the end I got the HelloWorld up and running.
Why is this not all documented by Magic?

Thanks for your advice.

Regards,
Johan Vissenberg

Oded Lavee

Hi guys and Johan
Sorry to hear that you have wasted time...

Few remarks
1. we install and uninstall xpa4 many times without an issue
2. is line that you need to add is indeed needed but this is due to Angular 8 issue that we are now talking to google about it and waiting for it to be .
3. we are chasing our documentation all the time so please keep on looking for new items in the magicweb.io. i know that the quickstart was done in v4 and it is not updated but it is more of the same with other version and currently we trust you guys that you can overcome the difference .

I invite any of you guys that are struggling with an hello world or alternatively have questions about web client to approach me directly and we can have a session or a call.

there is no need to waste days on hello world.

Oded

herbert.waldmann@...

Hi Johan, Mario and Kevin,
thanks for your discussion here.
I installed xpa 4.5 last days and had the same effect: an empty windows and no requests on the broker-monitor.
After including "(window as any).global = window;" - the tip from Kevin - it works.

Many thanks

Regards
Herbert

Florian Groothuis

I had the same issues: installed XPA45 this week and only empty white screens in the browser. Kevin's tip worked! Thnx.

Florian Groothuis

I have a feeling that there is something buggy with either the latest Angular version or XPA46.
Today I did the SPA-tutorial. All went well until routing came up. As soon as XPA's routing comes in play Chrome shows blank pages. I also tried my own simple app, same thing. Opening page is just fine, a button routing to a new program fails.

The app.routes.ts shows:

export const routes: Routes = [

    {
        path: 'Login',
        component: RouterContainerMagicComponent,
        outlet: 'MainOutlet',

    },

The Chrome-debugger shows:

core.js:6014 ERROR Error: Uncaught (in promise): Error: Cannot match any routes. URL Segment: 'Login'
Error: Cannot match any routes. URL Segment: 'Login'

And I have to make a demo in a few weeks...

Florian Groothuis

Also some errors on compiling the initial project:

Generation warnings/errors:
A subdirectory or file D:\Projects\XPA46\ngSPA already exists.
npm WARN saveError ENOENT: no such file or directory, open 'D:\Projects\XPA46\ngSPA\package.json'
npm notice created a lockfile as package-lock.json. You should commit this file.
npm WARN enoent ENOENT: no such file or directory, open 'D:\Projects\XPA46\ngSPA\package.json'
npm WARN ngSPA No description
npm WARN ngSPA No repository field.
npm WARN ngSPA No README data
npm WARN ngSPA No license field.

npm WARN deprecated core-js@2.6.10: core-js@<3.0 is no longer maintained and not recommended for usage due to the number of issues. Please, upgrade your dependencies to the actual version of core-js@3.
npm WARN deprecated fsevents@1.2.9: One of your dependencies needs to upgrade to fsevents v2: 1) Proper nodejs v10+ support 2) No more fetching binaries from AWS, smaller package size
npm WARN rollback Rolling back readable-stream@2.3.6 failed (this is probably harmless): EPERM: operation not permitted, lstat 'D:\Projects\XPA46\ngSPA\SPA\node_modules\@angular\compiler-cli\node_modules\fsevents\node_modules'
npm WARN optional SKIPPING OPTIONAL DEPENDENCY: fsevents@1.2.9 (node_modules\webpack-dev-server\node_modules\fsevents):
npm WARN optional SKIPPING OPTIONAL DEPENDENCY: fsevents@1.2.9 (node_modules\watchpack\node_modules\fsevents):
npm WARN optional SKIPPING OPTIONAL DEPENDENCY: fsevents@1.2.9 (node_modules\karma\node_modules\fsevents):
npm WARN optional SKIPPING OPTIONAL DEPENDENCY: fsevents@1.2.9 (node_modules\@angular\compiler-cli\node_modules\fsevents):
npm WARN optional SKIPPING OPTIONAL DEPENDENCY: fsevents@2.1.2 (node_modules\fsevents):
npm WARN notsup SKIPPING OPTIONAL DEPENDENCY: Unsupported platform for fsevents@2.1.2: wanted {"os":"darwin","arch":"any"} (current: {"os":"win32","arch":"x64"})

npm WARN The package @magic-xpa/cli is included as both a dev and production dependency.

npm WARN deprecated text-encoding@0.7.0: no longer maintained
npm WARN ng-dynamic-component@3.1.2 requires a peer of @angular/common@^6.0.0 but none is installed. You must install peer dependencies yourself.
npm WARN ng-dynamic-component@3.1.2 requires a peer of @angular/core@^6.0.0 but none is installed. You must install peer dependencies yourself.
npm WARN @magic-xpa/angular@4.6.0 requires a peer of ng-dynamic-component@^5.0.0 but none is installed. You must install peer dependencies yourself.
npm WARN @magic-xpa/angular@4.6.0 requires a peer of rxjs@^6.5.2 but none is installed. You must install peer dependencies yourself.
npm WARN @angular/http@7.2.15 requires a peer of @angular/core@7.2.15 but none is installed. You must install peer dependencies yourself.
npm WARN @angular/http@7.2.15 requires a peer of @angular/platform-browser@7.2.15 but none is installed. You must install peer dependencies yourself.
[...]

Rob Westland

I build an app following the lessons on magicweb.io.

After logging in I route the user to a Welcome screen. This works good in 4.5, but in 4.6 it doesn't work anymore. So I thing there is a problem with routing in 4.6. I reported it to Magic, but still waiting for an answer.

Rob

On Thu, Nov 28, 2019 at 08:17 PM, Florian Groothuis wrote:
A subdirectory or file D:\Projects\XPA46\ngSPA already exists.
Most of your warnings you could safely ignore. That however not.
Now I dont know that cli, if it however reports that the directory already exists it probably does not install anything.
And ... no package no party.

What was the command you typed to get that output you pasted ?
Try a new install from within an empty directory.

Andreas

Oded Lavee

hi guys

Any issue you might have, please contact me directly and i will do a remote session with you to check it out

Oded

Masanobu Tanda

Edited

That’s really helpful!

Tanda from Japan

2019年11月29日(金) 17:43 Oded Lavee <oded.lavee@...>:

hi guys

Any issue you might have, please contact me directly and i will do a remote session with you to check it out

Oded

Rob Westland

I had a 1,5 hour remote session with Magic support and the result:

After updating to 4.6 you also have to update your Angular project to the same Webclient version...

Rob

On 28-11-2019 22:12, Rob Westland wrote:

[...]

Wynand Stöckel

Rob, how do you determine the Webclient version ? What exactly must you re-install ?