Crash when doing search on variable list 3.2d

Heidi Schuppenhauer

Is anyone else having an issue where Magic crashes when doing a search on the variable list?
- Go to Expressions
- Go to the Variable list on the right
- Type in a couple of letters

Then the screen freezes and Magic crashes.

This might have started after a Windows update. Nothing was changed in terms of the Magic install, but it's happening now for everyone on Toolkit, even on new installs.

image.png

Heidi.Schuppenhauer

Govert Schipper

Hello Heidi,

Yes I have the same problem since a couple of weeks. Just like you describe it just started and didn't go away.
I don't have a solution either. Maybe best to migrate to xpa 3.3e

Govert

Is anyone else having an issue where Magic crashes when doing a search on the variable list?
- Go to Expressions
- Go to the Variable list on the right
- Type in a couple of letters

Then the screen freezes and Magic crashes.

This might have started after a Windows update. Nothing was changed in terms of the Magic install, but it's happening now for everyone on Toolkit, even on new installs.

image.png

Heidi.Schuppenhauer

Virusvrij. www.avast.com

Rob Westland

Hi Heidi,

same here on Magic 4.5a with Windows Pro 1903

Rob

Op 15-10-2019 om 20:50 schreef Heidi Schuppenhauer:

Is anyone else having an issue where Magic crashes when doing a search on the variable list?
- Go to Expressions
- Go to the Variable list on the right
- Type in a couple of letters

Then the screen freezes and Magic crashes.

This might have started after a Windows update. Nothing was changed in terms of the Magic install, but it's happening now for everyone on Toolkit, even on new installs.

image.png

Heidi.Schuppenhauer

Jim Stephenson

Heidi,

Same here on my 4.5a.

Jim

On Tue, Oct 15, 2019 at 1:12 PM Rob Westland <magicrob@...> wrote:

Hi Heidi,

same here on Magic 4.5a with Windows Pro 1903

Rob

Op 15-10-2019 om 20:50 schreef Heidi Schuppenhauer:
Is anyone else having an issue where Magic crashes when doing a search on the variable list?
- Go to Expressions
- Go to the Variable list on the right
- Type in a couple of letters

Then the screen freezes and Magic crashes.

This might have started after a Windows update. Nothing was changed in terms of the Magic install, but it's happening now for everyone on Toolkit, even on new installs.

image.png

Heidi.Schuppenhauer

Mike Moore

I noticed this yesterday with XPA 3.3d, and created a case yesterday with Magic Software Support.

They acknowledged it's a known issue and that development team is working on it.

From:        "Heidi Schuppenhauer" <heidis13@...>
To:        magicu-l@groups.io
Date:        10/15/2019 08:51 AM
Sent by:        main@magicu-l.groups.io

Is anyone else having an issue where Magic crashes when doing a search on the variable list?
- Go to Expressions
- Go to the Variable list on the right
- Type in a couple of letters

Then the screen freezes and Magic crashes.

This might have started after a Windows update. Nothing was changed in terms of the Magic install, but it's happening now for everyone on Toolkit, even on new installs.

image.png

Heidi.Schuppenhauer

Heidi Schuppenhauer

Thanks to all of you! As usual you saved me (and who knows how many others) loads of time.

Heidi.Schuppenhauer

From:        "Heidi Schuppenhauer" <heidis13@...>
To:        magicu-l@groups.io
Date:        10/15/2019 08:51 AM
Sent by:        main@magicu-l.groups.io

Is anyone else having an issue where Magic crashes when doing a search on the variable list?
- Go to Expressions
- Go to the Variable list on the right
- Type in a couple of letters

Then the screen freezes and Magic crashes.

This might have started after a Windows update. Nothing was changed in terms of the Magic install, but it's happening now for everyone on Toolkit, even on new installs.

image.png

Heidi.Schuppenhauer

Andy Jerison

It must be a Visual Studio problem if it affects all those versions of Magic.

Andy

On Tue, Oct 15, 2019, 14:51 Heidi Schuppenhauer <heidis13@...> wrote:
Is anyone else having an issue where Magic crashes when doing a search on the variable list?
- Go to Expressions
- Go to the Variable list on the right
- Type in a couple of letters

Then the screen freezes and Magic crashes.

This might have started after a Windows update. Nothing was changed in terms of the Magic install, but it's happening now for everyone on Toolkit, even on new installs.

image.png

Heidi.Schuppenhauer

Peter Van Haeren | 4BS

Problem still exists in XPA 3.3E.

Maybe we have to put this in an SPR with MSE….

Met vriendelijke groeten,

Peter Van Haeren,

Team Leader

4Business Software NV

Nijverheidsstraat 37

2570 Duffel

België

T. +32 (0)3 491.17.02

F. +32 (0)3 491.17.60

www.4bs.compvh@...

Yes I have the same problem since a couple of weeks. Just like you describe it just started and didn't go away.

I don't have a solution either. Maybe best to migrate to xpa 3.3e

Govert

Is anyone else having an issue where Magic crashes when doing a search on the variable list?

- Go to Expressions

- Go to the Variable list on the right

- Type in a couple of letters

Then the screen freezes and Magic crashes.

This might have started after a Windows update. Nothing was changed in terms of the Magic install, but it's happening now for everyone on Toolkit, even on new installs.

Heidi.Schuppenhauer

Virusvrij. www.avast.com

OPGELET: Deze e-mail is afkomstig van buiten de organisatie. Klik niet op koppelingen of open geen bijlagen tenzij u de afzender herkent en weet dat de inhoud veilig is.

ewout@...

We have this problem since a Windows update in the beginning of september.

Avgerinos

Hi Heidi

I also have the same problem lately in both 3.3c and 3.3e.
Could find yet the reason, so I turned to my own eye-search technique...

Regards
Avgerinos

On 15/10/2019 8:50 μ.μ., Heidi Schuppenhauer wrote:
Is anyone else having an issue where Magic crashes when doing a search on the variable list?
- Go to Expressions
- Go to the Variable list on the right
- Type in a couple of letters

Then the screen freezes and Magic crashes.

This might have started after a Windows update. Nothing was changed in terms of the Magic install, but it's happening now for everyone on Toolkit, even on new installs.

image.png

Heidi.Schuppenhauer

Brenda Bullorini

Same in 4.5
This is the error I get:

Jim Stephenson

Interesting, I didn't even get an error message. The program just ended.

On Wed, Oct 16, 2019 at 1:32 PM Brenda Bullorini <bbullorini@...> wrote:
Same in 4.5
This is the error I get:

Brenda Bullorini

I have another awesome bug:
I can't use copy/paste (Ctrl+C, Ctrl+V) in the expression editor, unless I press F6 to open the expanded view.
Anyone else has this problem?

Heidi Schuppenhauer

"awesome bug"! Oxymoron of the week! :-)

No, I don't get that one. I also don't get the popup message you get.

Looks like MSE is looking into the crashing issue though. Has anyone else had the same issue for copy and paste in the editor?

Heidi.Schuppenhauer

On Wed, Oct 16, 2019 at 12:46 PM Brenda Bullorini <bbullorini@...> wrote:
I have another awesome bug:
I can't use copy/paste (Ctrl+C, Ctrl+V) in the expression editor, unless I press F6 to open the expanded view.
Anyone else has this problem?

Brenda Bullorini

Haha!

Anyway I have another xpa 4.5 installed on a windows server 2012 and I don't have the copy/paste error.
So I guess must be related to windows or visual studio updates

Tom Worthen

Brenda,

We here have encountered that issue but it is interesting because sometimes you can without F6 but it always works after you press F6. I have yet to figure out why some programs will allow it at times and others won’t. I initially thought it might have something to do with the number of expressions in the program or the size of the program but none of those have been valid. So, yes others are dealing with that issue in the expression editor as well.

We have also encountered another item that is interesting. Don’t know if it is a bug or not. We use TFS and therefore unless you check out a program when you open it, it is in read only. If you go into the expression editor and then press F6 you can copy the expression but if you try to copy it before pressing F6 you can’t. I have never tried to edit it but it does change what you are able to do by pressing F6. J

Tom