4.x Web Client - Is anyone actually using it?

George Stewart

Hi there,

We are starting to look at the Web Client in efforts to modernise the front end of parts of our existing software (which is all standard desktop magic). And we are wondering if anyone is actually using it, and if anyone has "converted" a project (or parts of) from standard magic to web client?

Regards,

George

yuvala@...

Hi George ,

Good to hear you are evaluating the Web Client technology. We have quite a few customers using it.
We would also be glad to meet and discuss this direction.
Julie would be able to coordinate such a meeting.

Yuval

Tim Downie

We have done a POC and enough to understand what is going on here. Really need as well as a magic skills someone knowing / angular html. Once you had 5 or 6 different types of forms in html though - you wont need a lot of time from angular person.

In my opinion it works and compared to developing angular/c# apps far quicker to develop with.

Converting a large magic app though would be no small undertaking.

From: main@magicu-l.groups.io <main@magicu-l.groups.io> on behalf of George Stewart <gstewart@...>
Sent: Thursday, 11 August 2022 6:16 PM
To: main@magicu-l.groups.io <main@magicu-l.groups.io>
Subject: [magicu-l] 4.x Web Client - Is anyone actually using it?

Hi there,

We are starting to look at the Web Client in efforts to modernise the front end of parts of our existing software (which is all standard desktop magic). And we are wondering if anyone is actually using it, and if anyone has "converted" a project (or parts of) from standard magic to web client?

Regards,

George

Keith Canniff

Tim,

By any chance can your POC with the group so everyone can understand these 5 to 6 different form types and how they can be reused to get a lot of the work done for you where you don’t need an Angular developer on staff?

Thanks,

Keith

From: main@magicu-l.groups.io <main@magicu-l.groups.io> On Behalf Of Tim Downie
Sent: Thursday, August 11, 2022 4:52 AM
To: main@magicu-l.groups.io
Subject: Re: [magicu-l] 4.x Web Client - Is anyone actually using it?

We have done a POC and enough to understand what is going on here. Really need as well as a magic skills someone knowing / angular html. Once you had 5 or 6 different types of forms in html though - you wont need a lot of time from angular person.

In my opinion it works and compared to developing angular/c# apps far quicker to develop with.

From: main@magicu-l.groups.io <main@magicu-l.groups.io> on behalf of George Stewart <gstewart@...>

Hi there,

Regards,

George

Tim Downie

Hi
I cant show what we did as its for and existing customer and part the ria app we have.

What I did is use an agular developer who worked with us after I ctrl g generated webclient screens after copying ria programs. This dev added and angular wide style / theme and tidied up the html/css.

Once you have tidy looking magic/angular programs. Eg list screen, screen mode screen, 1 to many screen, 1 to many to many screen, screen with tabs and subforms, popup windows. Its failry easy to copy the html component to a new weblient program and rebind the controls.

I would guess I put probably 70- 80 hours into getting my head around this - mainly using the tutorial pdfs and some questions to Yuval.

All of this being said, would I tackle converting a large application yes - but i would expect to still need to use the angular dev for help. 

We have c# / angular projects currently - seeing the devs work on these once they become big they are extremely tedious to maintain - in this respect magic still had all the tools we are used to as magic devs.

From: main@magicu-l.groups.io <main@magicu-l.groups.io> on behalf of Keith Canniff <kcanniff@...>
Sent: Thursday, 11 August 2022 10:28 PM

Tim,

By any chance can your POC with the group so everyone can understand these 5 to 6 different form types and how they can be reused to get a lot of the work done for you where you don’t need an Angular developer on staff?

Thanks,

Keith

Hi there,

Regards,

George

Tim Downie

I didnt the handson  on this site https://webclient.magicsoftware.com/welcome
This is a good starting place.

From: main@magicu-l.groups.io <main@magicu-l.groups.io> on behalf of Tim Downie <tim_downie@...>
Sent: Friday, 12 August 2022 7:23 AM

Hi
I cant show what we did as its for and existing customer and part the ria app we have.

What I did is use an agular developer who worked with us after I ctrl g generated webclient screens after copying ria programs. This dev added and angular wide style / theme and tidied up the html/css.

Once you have tidy looking magic/angular programs. Eg list screen, screen mode screen, 1 to many screen, 1 to many to many screen, screen with tabs and subforms, popup windows. Its failry easy to copy the html component to a new weblient program and rebind the controls.

I would guess I put probably 70- 80 hours into getting my head around this - mainly using the tutorial pdfs and some questions to Yuval.

All of this being said, would I tackle converting a large application yes - but i would expect to still need to use the angular dev for help. 

We have c# / angular projects currently - seeing the devs work on these once they become big they are extremely tedious to maintain - in this respect magic still had all the tools we are used to as magic devs.

From: main@magicu-l.groups.io <main@magicu-l.groups.io> on behalf of Keith Canniff <kcanniff@...>
Sent: Thursday, 11 August 2022 10:28 PM

Tim,

Thanks,

Keith

Hi there,

Regards,

George

Pavel Mencl

I am at a similar crossroads, never done any even semi-serious web development but then, I learned to walk and that is much harder.
My question is from a slightly different angle though, my budget is close to zero, will I be able to make a fairly simple prototype web app in Magic with that kind of money?
Sort of a proof of concept thing based on web services?
Pavel