Automatic parameter skip tool

Ramon de Wit

Hello everybody,

Nothing more annoying than have to add a parameter to a program which is being called 750 times……

Did somebody ever came out with a tool to auto skip not used parameters in calling programs???

Greets,

Ramon

Florian Groothuis

Adding is not the problem, all calls still work. What about deleting one...

I would do nothing and adjust it when I encounter one.

Analist/programmeur
+31 (0)6 21927914

meilink.eu

7271 AZ  Borculo • Nederland • +31 (0)545 253525

Nothing more annoying than have to add a parameter to a program which is being called 750 times……

Did somebody ever came out with a tool to auto skip not used parameters in calling programs???

Greets,

Ramon

Andy Jerison

Edited

I don't have such a tool. You can, however, disable the checker warning. I prefer to leave it enabled though.

On Thu, May 18, 2017 at 9:58 AM, Ramon de Wit <rwit@...> wrote:

Hello everybody,

Nothing more annoying than have to add a parameter to a program which is being called 750 times……

Did somebody ever came out with a tool to auto skip not used parameters in calling programs???

Greets,

Ramon

Ramon de Wit

Hello Florian,

Adding or disabling the checker warning might be okay for you and me, but the majority of Magicians I encounter freak out and don’t allow to do it like this.

At the same there is no budget to sit down and manually ‘skip’ 750 programs.

So, believe it or not, the consensus is that no parameter can be added and the program will stay the way it is forever.

Very frustrating.

Nothing more annoying than have to add a parameter to a program which is being called 750 times……

Did somebody ever came out with a tool to auto skip not used parameters in calling programs???

Greets,

Ramon

Alan Brookes <alanjbrookes@...>

Ramon,

I don't know if this works in XPA, but up to uniPaaS 1.9 you could declare the "parameter" as a virtual and the called program would still receive a
value into it if one is passed. No need to change all programs that call the called program - only those that need to send the extra parameter.

Regards,

Alan

On 18-05-2017 16:44, Ramon de Wit wrote:
Hello Florian,

Adding or disabling the checker warning might be okay for you and me, but the majority of Magicians I encounter freak out and don’t allow to do it
like this.

At the same there is no budget to sit down and manually ‘skip’ 750 programs.

So, believe it or not, the consensus is that no parameter can be added and the program will stay the way it is forever.

Very frustrating.

Adding is not the problem, all calls still work. What about deleting one...

I would do nothing and adjust it when I encounter one.

Analist/programmeur
+31 (0)6 21927914

<http://www.meilink.eu>

*
**meilink.eu <http://www.meilink.eu>**
*Meilink Beheer Borculo B.V. • Kamerlingh Onnesstraat 1
7271 AZ Borculo • Nederland • +31 (0)545 253525
KvK 08009803 • Our general terms and conditions apply <http://www.meilink.eu/assets/Downloads/nl/bedrijfsvoorwaarden-NLD.pdf> • Disclaimer
<http://www.meilink.eu/assets/Downloads/en/e-mail-disclaimer.pdf>

Nothing more annoying than have to add a parameter to a program which is being called 750 times……

Did somebody ever came out with a tool to auto skip not used parameters in calling programs???

Greets,

Ramon

Govert Schipper

Hi Ramon,

I agreed that you should not leave at as is. That's called "technical debt" and will bite you in the tail sooner or later.

There is another way to deal with the given situation:

  • Copy the called program to a new entry
  • Add the extra parameter to this new program
  • Call this new program from the program where you need the extra parameter
  • Strip the original program (except for the parameters) and replace all code with just one Call Program to the new one and skip the added parameter
Hope this works for you as it did for me once...

Regards, Govert

Nothing more annoying than have to add a parameter to a program which is being called 750 times……

Did somebody ever came out with a tool to auto skip not used parameters in calling programs???

Greets,

Ramon

Ramon de Wit

Wow, that’s smart indeed…!

Let call it from now on, the ‘Maquerade Technique’…. J

Thanks! I will try to push this method…

Ramon

Nothing more annoying than have to add a parameter to a program which is being called 750 times……

Did somebody ever came out with a tool to auto skip not used parameters in calling programs???

Greets,

Ramon

Ramon de Wit

Alan,

That still works, but is of course veryyyyy dangerous... Specially with a lot of different developers...!

Nothing more annoying than have to add a parameter to a program which
is being called 750 times……

Did somebody ever came out with a tool to auto skip not used parameters
in calling programs???

Greets,

Ramon

Chris de Bijl

We use in some cases memory tables.
Write the values in the mem table in the calling program
And read the values of the mem table in the other program (s) which needs the parameters.
It works just like using a class instance in dotnet.

In other cases where I want to pass a variable to program 5 layers deep, i don't want to add this variabele to all these pragram calls.
In these cases I use setparam and getparam
Or I define a parameter in mainprogram and update this in in the calling program and read this in the other program(s)

Chris