Android 7 / ZBar

Tim Downie

Hi

So i have a nice android app in magic3.2a  client is happy.

Have added in the Zbar to scan and look up data client is even happier.....

Client = not happy  - to find on Android 7 the apk will not load if it contains the Zbar libraries - have tried pic2shop but this crashes on Android 7 from within the app when trying to invoke it.

Does anyone have an ideas where to look to me Zbar doesnt have permissions or something - built using sdk 23 as per magic docs.

Any help appreciated.

Jordan Slappendel

Hi Tim,

We are running our app with zbar on Android 7 and it works.
The only difference that I can see is I am building using SDK 21.

Regards
Jordan

Kind Regards

Jordan Slappendel

PO Box 1186, Rotorua, New Zealand
Ph Office: +64 7 350 1174 DDI: +64 7 282 2431 Fax: +64 7 350 1185

This e-mail and any attachments may contain confidential and privileged information.  If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail, delete this e-mail and destroy any copies.  Any dissemination or use of this information by a person other than the intended recipient is unauthorised and may be illegal.

On Tue, Jun 13, 2017 at 3:19 PM, Tim Downie <tim_downie@...> wrote:

Hi

So i have a nice android app in magic3.2a  client is happy.

Have added in the Zbar to scan and look up data client is even happier.....

Client = not happy  - to find on Android 7 the apk will not load if it contains the Zbar libraries - have tried pic2shop but this crashes on Android 7 from within the app when trying to invoke it.

Does anyone have an ideas where to look to me Zbar doesnt have permissions or something - built using sdk 23 as per magic docs.

Any help appreciated.

Tim Downie

this is worth a try then - thanks

We are running our app with zbar on Android 7 and it works.
The only difference that I can see is I am building using SDK 21.

Regards
Jordan

Kind Regards

Jordan Slappendel

PO Box 1186, Rotorua, New Zealand
Ph Office: +64 7 350 1174 DDI: +64 7 282 2431 Fax: +64 7 350 1185
www.maximsoftware.co.nz
www.maximsoftware.co.nz
Maxim is a cloud-based accounting and business software, tailored to your business needs through bespoke solutions and a full consultancy service.

[...]

Joseph Knickerbocker

If neither work for some reason (pic2shop worked great for me on android 7, but they have to have the pic2shop free apk installed on the device), you can try using the mobile vision api from Google Play services. To get it to work, you will have to follow the Magic sample of replacing a magic control with a native control, and replace the magic control with the view for the barcode scanner.

It is significantly more complicated to implement, but you do not need to rely on an external apk... and is probably more future proof.

Tim Downie

I got this to work using the zbar librarys from Jordan for some reaason the .so files i have in 3.2a samples lib are a different size to the ones Jordan has
If neither work for some reason (pic2shop worked great for me on android 7, but they have to have the pic2shop free apk installed on the device), you can try using the mobile vision api from Google Play services. To get it to work, you will have to follow the Magic sample of replacing a magic control with a native control, and replace the magic control with the view for the barcode scanner.

It is significantly more complicated to implement, but you do not need to rely on an external apk... and is probably more future proof.

Jordan Slappendel

I've just worked out that the zbar files I am using is from XPA 3.1 even though our app is in XPA 3.2a
If anyone is looking for the ones I use that is where I got them from.

Hope this helps.