Modified timestamp

Arch <Arch.Lineberger@...>

I am keeping a log of the number of times a program was run and who used it last. A customer now wants to know how long a program was used each day by each user for the past 5 years! If I am going to amass that huge database, it would be nice to include the program version that was run as well.

Does anyone know how to extract the "Last Update" from the Program Repository? Since the source code is not at the client's site, I can't read the timestamp from those files

Arch Lineberger
203 N Main St
Belmont, NC 28012
704.461.1223

Wes Hein

Would the date of the ecf do?  If so you could use fileinfo()

Wes

Arch <Arch.Lineberger@...>

Thanks, Wes. That's a good thought, but not very precise. The program used is likely not to be the one last modified.

Arch Lineberger
203 N Main St
Belmont, NC 28012
704.461.1223

On Thu, Mar 5, 2020 at 4:42 PM Wes Hein <wes@...> wrote:
Would the date of the ecf do?  If so you could use fileinfo()

Wes

Roberto Ramirez Cervantes

Arch,

I have an expression in all my programs with the last modification Date\Time. It is not automatic, it requires manual update, but it is very precise.

Roberto

--
Roberto Ramirez
marionette_66@...

On Thu, Mar 5, 2020, at 2:08 PM, Arch wrote:
Thanks, Wes. That's a good thought, but not very precise. The program used is likely not to be the one last modified.

Arch Lineberger
203 N Main St
Belmont, NC 28012
704.461.1223

On Thu, Mar 5, 2020 at 4:42 PM Wes Hein <wes@...> wrote:
Would the date of the ecf do?  If so you could use fileinfo()

Wes

Arch <Arch.Lineberger@...>

Thanks. That will work if I remember to update it.

On Thu, Mar 5, 2020, 5:48 PM Roberto Ramirez <marionette_66@...> wrote:
Arch,

I have an expression in all my programs with the last modification Date\Time. It is not automatic, it requires manual update, but it is very precise.

Roberto

--
Roberto Ramirez

On Thu, Mar 5, 2020, at 2:08 PM, Arch wrote:
Thanks, Wes. That's a good thought, but not very precise. The program used is likely not to be the one last modified.

Arch Lineberger
203 N Main St
Belmont, NC 28012
704.461.1223

On Thu, Mar 5, 2020 at 4:42 PM Wes Hein <wes@...> wrote:
Would the date of the ecf do?  If so you could use fileinfo()

Wes

Govert Schipper

Hi Arch, why not just use an app version? My applications are updated once or twice a week and on every release I increment the version number. It looks something like yyyy.nn (Year + seq.no.). When you put the version number in a program (or database table) and update it with every release, you can extract it easily and use it in your logging.

Govert

I am keeping a log of the number of times a program was run and who used it last. A customer now wants to know how long a program was used each day by each user for the past 5 years! If I am going to amass that huge database, it would be nice to include the program version that was run as well.

Does anyone know how to extract the "Last Update" from the Program Repository? Since the source code is not at the client's site, I can't read the timestamp from those files

Arch Lineberger
203 N Main St
Belmont, NC 28012
704.461.1223

Virusvrij. www.avast.com

Arch <Arch.Lineberger@...>

That would document changes to any program in the application, not a specific program. I'm seeking a finer resolution of modifications if possible.

On Fri, Mar 6, 2020, 1:54 AM Govert Schipper <govertschipper@...> wrote:
[...]

Another option is to use the public name of the program and include a version number that you increment after every change.
You can get the public name of the program with the function PublicName() and extract the version number to include in your logging.

Govert

I am keeping a log of the number of times a program was run and who used it last. A customer now wants to know how long a program was used each day by each user for the past 5 years! If I am going to amass that huge database, it would be nice to include the program version that was run as well.

Does anyone know how to extract the "Last Update" from the Program Repository? Since the source code is not at the client's site, I can't read the timestamp from those files

Arch Lineberger
203 N Main St
Belmont, NC 28012
704.461.1223

Virusvrij. www.avast.com

Arch <Arch.Lineberger@...>

Thanks, Govert. It is not automatic, but it would work.

Arch Lineberger
203 N Main St
Belmont, NC 28012
704.461.1223