Looking for advice to replace an ActiveX

Marc Gauthier

Hi,

I'm upgrading a Magic 9 application that was using Microsoft Winsock Control 6.0 ActiveX.

The code in v9 is extremely simple

We connect to the IP and a specific port using winsock.Connect and in a loop we read winsock.data

Each time we receive the data ó we call a batch job...

It's for an processing box on a conveyor.

What is the best way to reproduce the active X in XPA 3 ?

Thank Very much

Marc Gauthier

Todd Baremore

Marc,

Steve Blank demoed an "IP listener" solution at a Brown Bag a couple of years ago.  You can specify TCP or UDP and the port #.  I customized it for my use and it works well.  I demo it for you and send you an export of the program later this week.
Todd
On 5/10/2021 8:24 AM, Marc Gauthier wrote:

Hi,

I'm upgrading a Magic 9 application that was using Microsoft Winsock Control 6.0 ActiveX.

The code in v9 is extremely simple

We connect to the IP and a specific port using winsock.Connect and in a loop we read winsock.data

Each time we receive the data ó we call a batch job...

It's for an processing box on a conveyor.

What is the best way to reproduce the active X in XPA 3 ?

Thank Very much

Marc Gauthier

Steven Blank

Marc,

I built a demo application illustrating the related objects in System.Net and their usage and, a little over a year ago, uploaded it to this forum's shared files area:

https://magicu-l.groups.io/g/main/files/Demo_WinsockDotNet_3.3.zip

This was developed in v3.3 but should go forward into v4.x just fine. I suggest you download this demo app and take a look. If you get stumped anywhere along the way, feel free to contact me for assistance.

Steven G. Blank
SGBlank Consulting

On 5/10/2021 5:24 AM, Marc Gauthier wrote:
Hi,

I'm upgrading a Magic 9 application that was using Microsoft Winsock Control 6.0 ActiveX.

The code in v9 is extremely simple

We connect to the IP and a specific port using winsock.Connect and in a loop we read winsock.data

Each time we receive the data ó we call a batch job...

It's for an processing box on a conveyor.

What is the best way to reproduce the active X in XPA 3 ?

Thank Very much

Marc Gauthier

Marc Gauthier

Hi Todd,

Thanks for the fast answer. Contact me privately for the demo. No rush

Thank very much.

Marc Gauthier

Hi Steven,

Thanks for the answer and the Sample - I already download it

I will look the code

Thanks again!

Marc