Number variables and picture #xpa #sql

Adrian Wick

Hello all,

i have a table with a numeric field of 2. And i am importing some data from excel into this table. In some cases
the number in excel is over 99 and than the data is shown as ** in table, on the form and on the output.

This happens 1 out of 5000 times ...  I don't want to do the conversions of the table because than i would need to fix all other
tables, outputs, that are related to this table. And there are to many!

Is it ok if i only change the picture from 2 to 3 on the form and output? I tested it and the number is displayed correctly. Can this type
of import break my table somehow or cause any other problems?

All kind of ideas, inputs are welcome!

Friedrich Geisler-Buckert

Hi Adrian,

it depends...

What of Datatype in the SQL has this fiiled? Or waht is the xpa 'Stored as...' property?

Nomally a small number is stored as integer (which is much bigger than those 2 digits). In this case you can jsut change the xpa type.

To be sure, that it is OK, check the value (with SQL), which is written in the database.

Regards
Friedrich

Micha Weiss

Adrian

This works for pervasive, worth a try in other DB:

I think that conversion would be needed only if the change in the picture of the filed  changes the size of the field in the field properties

You can try to change the field picture from 2 to 3 in a copy of the table and see if conversion is triggered.

Micha

HUJI