Blat

John Dowbiggin

Hi Guys

I am having to resort to using Blat because I cant get Magic Mailconnect() and Mailsend() working on my client system.  I have managed to create a command line that will sebd and email and an attachment but along the route had some issues some of which stopped email going and others didn’t.

Can anybody either explain what these warnings are in plain English or point me to a Blat forum like this or some other source of Blat info.

The command line:

q:\blat\blat q:\Pomstyle\email\Inv322112.txt -subject "Our Invoice No 322112" -to john@... -f lindy@... -server mail.pomodoroclothing.com:25 -u pomsales@... -pw <password> -attach q:\Pomstyle\email\Inv.pdf -log Q:\Pomstyle\email\Blat.log

Stopped email going:

WARNING: The SMTP server does not like the name john@... Have you set the To: field correctly, or do you need authorization (-u/-pw)?

This is my email address and is correct.  When I change it one on the client system it works and sends email

Email goes but warnings:

WARNING: SMTP server does not require AUTH LOGIN

WARNING:  Are you sure server supports AUTH?

Any guidance much appreciated

Regards

John

Govert Schipper

Hi John,

Don’t now why MailConnect() doesn’t work and no experience with Blat.

Just wanted to mention the option of using an alternative SMTP service to send mail.

For example https://www.smtp2go.com/

Jsut create an account and use their SMTP-server settings to send mails.

Regards,

Govert Schipper

Van: John Dowbiggin
Verzonden: woensdag 31 augustus 2022 11:11
Aan: main@magicu-l.groups.io
Onderwerp: [magicu-l] Blat

Hi Guys

I am having to resort to using Blat because I cant get Magic Mailconnect() and Mailsend() working on my client system.  I have managed to create a command line that will sebd and email and an attachment but along the route had some issues some of which stopped email going and others didn’t.

Can anybody either explain what these warnings are in plain English or point me to a Blat forum like this or some other source of Blat info.

The command line:

q:\blat\blat q:\Pomstyle\email\Inv322112.txt -subject "Our Invoice No 322112" -to john@... -f lindy@... -server mail.pomodoroclothing.com:25 -u pomsales@... -pw <password> -attach q:\Pomstyle\email\Inv.pdf -log Q:\Pomstyle\email\Blat.log

Stopped email going:

WARNING: The SMTP server does not like the name john@... Have you set the To: field correctly, or do you need authorization (-u/-pw)?

This is my email address and is correct.  When I change it one on the client system it works and sends email

Email goes but warnings:

Regards

John

Keith Canniff

John,

We’ve been using Blat with Magic for probably at least 10 years simply because MailConnect and MailSend were not stable enough to handle hundreds of generated emails going out one after the other.

Leslie Danker should be responding sometime soon with hopefully some helpful hints. He’s been the one to keep blat going over the years in our Magic applications.

Keith Canniff

From: main@magicu-l.groups.io <main@magicu-l.groups.io> On Behalf Of Govert Schipper
Sent: Wednesday, August 31, 2022 10:19 AM
To: main@magicu-l.groups.io
Subject: Re: [magicu-l] Blat

Hi John,

Just wanted to mention the option of using an alternative SMTP service to send mail.

Regards,

Govert Schipper

Hi Guys

The command line:

Stopped email going:

Email goes but warnings:

Regards

John

Charles Coe

John,
I think the system is trying to tell you two things:
1 - no password is needed so the -pw switch is not needed.  Try no -pw switch.
2 - it does not like your email address because you are not set up on the email server with your own email address - which is why the employee email worked.
Email servers can be easily set up to relay email coming from specific IP addresses with no authentication, and this one may be set up that way.
I've spent tons of time creating bat files to bounce off blat and it can be frustrating understanding the return codes.
Good luck,
Charles

--
Charles Coe, CPA, MCSE

New Orleans, Louisiana

John Dowbiggin

Hi Govert

Thanks for the suggestion.  If I am not mistaken there is a licence fee of 415 TO $75 per month x 2 because I need a licence and client needs one – am I correct in this?

Regards

John

From: main@magicu-l.groups.io <main@magicu-l.groups.io> On Behalf Of Keith Canniff
Sent: 31 August 2022 19:07

John,

We’ve been using Blat with Magic for probably at least 10 years simply because MailConnect and MailSend were not stable enough to handle hundreds of generated emails going out one after the other.

Leslie Danker should be responding sometime soon with hopefully some helpful hints. He’s been the one to keep blat going over the years in our Magic applications.

Keith Canniff

From: main@magicu-l.groups.io <main@magicu-l.groups.io> On Behalf Of Govert Schipper

Hi John,

Regards,

Govert Schipper

Hi Guys

The command line:

Stopped email going:

Email goes but warnings:

Regards

John

Keith Canniff

Joan,

I also added to the Files section a while back “BlatEmailTest.zip” which should allow you to run some basic tests with blat.

Keith Canniff

From: main@magicu-l.groups.io <main@magicu-l.groups.io> On Behalf Of John Dowbiggin
Sent: Wednesday, August 31, 2022 4:33 PM

Hi Govert

Thanks for the suggestion.  If I am not mistaken there is a licence fee of 415 TO $75 per month x 2 because I need a licence and client needs one – am I correct in this?

Regards

John

From: main@magicu-l.groups.io <main@magicu-l.groups.io> On Behalf Of Keith Canniff

John,

Keith Canniff

Hi John,

Regards,

Govert Schipper

Hi Guys

The command line:

Stopped email going:

Email goes but warnings:

Regards

John

John Dowbiggin

Keith

Can you remind me how to get at the files section please?

Thanks

John

On 1 Sep 2022, at 00:43, Keith Canniff <kcanniff@...> wrote:

Joan,

I also added to the Files section a while back “BlatEmailTest.zip” which should allow you to run some basic tests with blat.

Keith Canniff

From: main@magicu-l.groups.io <main@magicu-l.groups.io> On Behalf Of John Dowbiggin

Hi Govert

Regards

John

John,

Keith Canniff

Hi John,

Regards,

Govert Schipper

Hi Guys

The command line:

Stopped email going:

Email goes but warnings:

Regards

John

Edited

Keith Canniff

When you’re on the groups.io website under the Magicu-1 group, you’ll see a menu on the left and the entry is “Files”

Then you can search by name.

Keith Canniff

Sent: Thursday, September 1, 2022 9:05 AM

Keith

Can you remind me how to get at the files section please?

Thanks

John

On 1 Sep 2022, at 00:43, Keith Canniff <kcanniff@...> wrote:

Joan,

Keith Canniff

Hi Govert

Regards

John

John,

Keith Canniff

Hi John,

Regards,

Govert Schipper

Hi Guys

The command line:

Stopped email going:

Email goes but warnings:

Regards

John

John Dowbiggin

Hi Keith

I’ve got that and it is useful – thanks

John

Sent: 01 September 2022 00:42

Joan,

Keith Canniff

Hi Govert

Regards

John

John,

Keith Canniff

Hi John,

Regards,

Govert Schipper

Hi Guys

The command line:

Stopped email going:

Email goes but warnings:

Regards

John

John Dowbiggin

Hi Charles

I progress.

I have removed the -pw and password from command string and email has sent with 3 less warning messages in the blat log.

Now Ihave to sort out what the AUTH LOGIN is that log says is not required and also find out how to send to someone who is not in the address book on the server.  If you can give me some pointers on that I would be really grateful

Regards

John

From: main@magicu-l.groups.io <main@magicu-l.groups.io> On Behalf Of Charles Coe via groups.io
Sent: 31 August 2022 19:59

John,
I think the system is trying to tell you two things:
1 - no password is needed so the -pw switch is not needed.  Try no -pw switch.
2 - it does not like your email address because you are not set up on the email server with your own email address - which is why the employee email worked.
Email servers can be easily set up to relay email coming from specific IP addresses with no authentication, and this one may be set up that way.
I've spent tons of time creating bat files to bounce off blat and it can be frustrating understanding the return codes.
Good luck,
Charles

--
Charles Coe, CPA, MCSE

New Orleans, Louisiana

Govert Schipper

Pricing depends on the number of mails you will be sending monthly.

Up to 1,000 mails per month are free.

Govert Schipper

Verzonden: woensdag 31 augustus 2022 22:33
Onderwerp: Re: [magicu-l] Blat

Hi Govert

Regards

John

John,

Keith Canniff

Hi John,

Regards,

Govert Schipper

Hi Guys

The command line:

Stopped email going:

Email goes but warnings:

Regards

John

Keith Canniff

Blat is and always has been free to use here: https://www.blat.net/

We’ve used it for well over 10 years.

Keith Canniff

Sent: Thursday, September 8, 2022 8:02 AM

Pricing depends on the number of mails you will be sending monthly.

Up to 1,000 mails per month are free.

Govert Schipper

Verzonden: woensdag 31 augustus 2022 22:33
Onderwerp: Re: [magicu-l] Blat

Hi Govert

Regards

John

John,

Keith Canniff

Hi John,

Regards,

Govert Schipper

Hi Guys

The command line:

Stopped email going:

Email goes but warnings:

Regards

John

Charles Coe

Hey John,
Remove this from your string  -u pomsales@...

I do not think you will be limited to only people in the address book on the server.  If that is the case, then I suspect a setting in the email server configuration, and that is above my pay grade.

Keep us posted on how you progress and if you get this working.
Good luck,

Charles

--
Charles Coe, CPA, MCSE

New Orleans, Louisiana

Bob Witte

I've used it much longer than that, also for free.