Error: "Access denied - wrong user name or password" (-133)

Jackson, Adam

Hi,

I am getting the error in the subject line when I try to run a broker program from our test server. This was working until I ran a magic install fix. I have tried many things to get it working. The last thing I have tried was copying the mgreq, mgrb and magic INI files from our old test server (having tested that broker program on old test server still works). I still get the same error message. In every single iteration I have tried I always get same error message.

The settings I have played with are:

The UsersPath setting from magic.ini

The username and Password settings in mgreq.ini

I have rebooted the server a couple of times.

Can anyone help? Whilst this is only the test server we really need to get it back working as we have some major developments we are working on.

xPa 2.5d

TIA

Adam

The contents of this e-mail are confidential and for the exclusive use of the intended recipient. If you are not the intended recipient you should not read, copy, retransmit or disclose its contents. If you have received this email in error please delete it from your system immediately and notify us either by email or telephone. The views expressed in this communication may not necessarily be the views held by McLaren Racing Limited.
McLaren Racing Limited, McLaren Technology Centre, Chertsey Road, Woking, Surrey, GU21 4YH, UK. Company Number: 01517478

Steven Blank

Adam,

Not knowing your setup, I'm guessing here, but it may be this:

For Call Remote operations, the username specified in the MAGIC.INI file's [MAGIC_SERVICES] section needs to exist in the Magic Application Server's user security file, and the passwords specified need to match. For example:

; Services Settings:
[MAGIC_SERVICES]APServices=APBroker,APServices8,APSUSR,APSPWD,,,,0,M,

In this example, the User ID APSUSR needs to exist in the server's user security file with password APSPWD. These credentials get passed to the broker in the request and are passed to the Magic application server.

You also may need to have a look at the MAGIC.INI file's [MAGIC_SERVERS] section; user names and passwords may be specified there, as well.

HTH.

Steven G. Blank
Ξ SGBlank Consulting

On 5/9/2022 7:34 AM, Jackson, Adam wrote:

[...]

Additionally, if you specify a username and password in the MGREQ.INI file, then that User ID/Password needs to exist in the application server's user security file (ex. USR_STD.ENG) as well.

Steven G. Blank
Ξ SGBlank Consulting

On 5/9/2022 12:18 PM, Steven Blank wrote:
[...]

Steve,

We have three servers:

Test App Server – used to host broker during PoC – broker was turned off prior to these issues. Turned broker back on yesterday and it worked OK. Tried today and get error 133

MGRB.INI

JavelinWS2 = MgxpaRuntime.exe /DeploymentMode=B /StartApplication=\\<test app server>\jsnt\Javelin.2017r1\Private\Support\JavelinWS\JavelinWS2.ecf,C:\Program Files (x86)\MSE\Magic xpa 2.5,,,1,1

Where

\\<test app server>\jsnt\Javelin.2017r1\Private\Support\JavelinWS\JavelinWS2.ecf => Last modified: 06/05/2022 10:23 Size:385kb

MGREQ.INI

username = supervisor

password = X

MAGIC.INI

UsersPath = \\<test app server>\jsnt\Javelin.2017r1\Private\Support\javelin_u+

sr.eng

[MAGIC_SERVERS]

Default Broker = 0,,,,10,,1

DEFAULT = 0,,,,10,,1

Test “web” server – test broker host. Working ok until yesterday morning when I ran magic repair install

MGRB.INI

JavelinWS2 = MgxpaRuntime.exe /DeploymentMode=B /StartApplication=\\<test app server>\jsnt\Javelin.2017r1\Private\Support\JavelinWS\JavelinWS2.ecf,C:\Program Files (x86)\MSE\Magic xpa 2.5,,,1,1

where

\\<test app server>\jsnt\Javelin.2017r1\Private\Support\JavelinWS\JavelinWS2.ecf => Last modified: 06/05/2022 10:23 Size:385kb

MGREQ.INI

username = supervisor

password = X

MAGIC.INI

UsersPath = \\<test app server>\jsnt\Javelin.2017r1\Private\Support\javelin_u+

sr.eng

[MAGIC_SERVERS]

DEFAULT = 0,,,,10,,1

Production “web” server – production broker host. Working ok since server restart on 7th. Not been touched since though. Don’t want to restart in case gets same issues afflicting 2 above

MGRB.INI

JavelinWS2 = MgxpaRuntime.exe /DeploymentMode=B /StartApplication=\\<prod app server>\jsnt\Javelin.2017r1\Private\Support\JavelinWS\JavelinWS2.ecf,C:\Program Files (x86)\MSE\Magic xpa 2.5,,,1,1

where

\\<prod app server>\jsnt\Javelin.2017r1\Private\Support\JavelinWS\JavelinWS2.ecf => Last modified: 06/05/2022 10:23 Size:385kb

MGREQ.INI

username = supervisor

password = X

MAGIC.INI

UsersPath = \\<test app server>\jsnt\javelin.2017r1\Private\Support\javelin_u+

sr.eng

[MAGIC_SERVERS]

DEFAULT = 0,,,,10,,1

Adam
Jackson
Senior Mgr, Operations & Digital Systems
T  +447949892482

E  adam.jackson@...
McLaren Formula 1 Team
McLaren Technology Centre
Chertsey Road, Woking
Surrey, GU21 4YH, UK
mclaren.com
Facebook
Instagram
LinkedIn
Twitter
YouTube

CAUTION: This email originated from outside of McLaren. Do not click links or open attachments unless you recognise the sender and know the content is safe. Report any suspicious emails using the 'Report Phishing Email' button in Outlook.

[...]

The problem has moved on. Firstly, If I add the username and password values to the URL it works fines. Secondly, my colleague needed to start broker on prod server and that is now getting error too. The second one makes this mega urgent so if anyone has any clues it will be greatly appreciated.

TIA

Adam

[...]

FIXED – just not 100% sure how. Likely suspect is some changes we did on Friday to allow access to broker servers from outside world which we eventually undid today. Only way to know is to reapply again and see if issue reoccurs.