Fields and predesigned fonts when dragged on form #xpa

Adrian Wick

Hello wizards!

A small question to which I haven't found an answer yet.

Sometimes when i drag a field on the form, the field gets font 201 and color 2. What do i have to do in order to always
get font 1 and color 2 no matter what field i put on a form or in a table? Where are these settings stored?

Frederik Soete

Hi there,

Some control properties such as font and color can be inherited from the properties of virtuals or columns or models... Is that what you mean?

If you look around in these items' property lists, there are props for GUI, for printing, table or not, etc. You can overrule fonts and colors there.

If you wish to remove these overruled properties, you can restore inheritance for the property in question, thus restoring use of default font/color.

Bye,

FS

Op vr 10 jun. 2022 16:34 schreef Adrian Wick <adrian.wick2015@...>:

Hello wizards!

A small question to which I haven't found an answer yet.

Sometimes when i drag a field on the form, the field gets font 201 and color 2. What do i have to do in order to always
get font 1 and color 2 no matter what field i put on a form or in a table? Where are these settings stored?

Adrian,

Please keep in mind that over the years, the first 100 fonts and colors have been typically reserved for Magic’s studio. So if you use those colors and fonts, you’re tying your application to how Magic has setup the studio.

Most of us have started with colors and fonts above 100 just to stay away from conflicts.

Also, you might want to think of your colors and fonts as part of “style sheets” where you have a color and font for editable fields in a table. Another color and font for non-editable fields in a table.

Others to consider

  • Editable fields in a table
  • Non-editable fields outside a table
  • The table itself (foreground/background)
  • The form
  • Warning messages
  • Error messages
  • Etc.

Quite a while ago Heidi had made the suggestion to use the same color and font numbers for the same style. So I could set color 150 and font 150 for an Editable Non-Table field. That way when I picked either the color or the font, I didn’t have to look up the other… just put in the same number. Brilliant 😊

The point here is that you don’t just want to set everything to 1 and 2 and you don’t want to just go up and down the font and color table and find an entry that “looks” the way you want for a particular field that end up being grouped with other non-related fields. Your customer wants to change a font or a color on one screen and all of a sudden, you start changing colors or fonts other places in your application you weren’t expecting. You want your application to have a consistent look and feel. This is just one way to help that along.

Keith