Topics

Identifying android handhelds in terminal services sessions

sherman levine

When Windows handhelds run terminal services sessions, each handheld can be assigned a name in Windows, and one can identify the handheld via the CLIENTNAME environment variable - visible (for example) via the OS SET command.

How can I do something similar with handhelds which run Android?

Thanks

Sherm

WIth a script give here:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/41785413/use-powershell-to-get-device-names-and-their-ipaddress-on-a-home-network

you can collect ip-addresses en mac-addresses of devices on your network.

Based on the mac-address, the manufacturer can be found (see link to SO), which should give a clue about if it's an Android device or not.

sherman levine

Luuk,

Thanks for the suggestion. I already know the handhelds are all identical hardware running Android. Problem is that they're in 3 warehouses and I'd like to set up warehouse-specific features such as printers without user interaction, since I know that occasionally they would select the wrong warehouse if given a choice.

I suppose I could just have them start Magic with /WH=A, /WH=B, WH=C depending on where they're located - or I could assign logons to warehouses, but it would be simplest if I could have the handhelds self-identify.

Sherm

On 3/20/2020 2:24 PM, Luuk wrote:
WIth a script give here:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/41785413/use-powershell-to-get-device-names-and-their-ipaddress-on-a-home-network

you can collect ip-addresses en mac-addresses of devices on your network.

Based on the mac-address, the manufacturer can be found (see link to SO), which should give a clue about if it's an Android device or not.

If the physical location cannot be determined by i.e. the ip-address, than you will have a hard-time to let the devices self-identify.

some options:
- let user make a choice (yes, the can make the wrong choice, but they will stop doing so if 'something goes wrong when they make wrong choice')
- keep database of ip-address and location(=warehouse), and let device pick last know location. ( with possibility to change the location, if device is moved to different warehouse)
- ? (any other option... 😉)

sherman levine

I can't access the handheld IP address from the session, unfortunately.
I may just work with the user logon - User attaches to the last selected warehouse unless he makes a specific change request.
Sherm