Migration V9.4 -> XPA (4.7)

Steve Greenfield

Good morning,

I'm planning/preparing to migrate 4 systems from eDeveloper V9.4 to XPA, likely to be 4.7.2. I know the process is multi stage as there is no single process upgrade from V9.4 to XPA.

Does anyone on here have a clear task list of what's involved and the order in which to perform things? Also any hints and tips for the process would be most welcome - one application is a desktop application with UI screens, the other 3 are batch only systems using HTML Merge for web access using the broker.

I have been searching the messages and files section on here, found the 72 page Magic University PDF but this seems to be more about the differences between uniPaaS and XPA and the actual migration is covered in 5 pages. I've also been on to the Magic Support Portal and have a couple of pages from there too.

Any help or pointers would be appreciated.

Regards

Steve Greenfield
DataFormation UK Limited

sales@...

Hi,

I have used a company out of Israel - Go Up Technology.

They do a good job.

Regards
Michael

[...]

Joseph Feldman

I Also used GoUp and  at the same time converted from Pervasive to MSSQL , and was very satisfied with process

Joseph Feldman

On Mon, Jul 25, 2022 at 7:42 AM <sales@...> wrote:
[...]

Tim Downie

Hi - we did 4 or 5 apps from V9 up v3.xx. (years ago)

From memory there is a v9 utility in unipass to get it to unipass v1.9. This part as long as you have the colors fonts and inis sorted out in the utility is the biggest component.

From a V1.9 export you can then just import direclty into v3.xx (pretty sure).

In the end this was'nt really to big a deal.

[...]

De Netwerkadviseur BV

Hi,

If you use OCX within 9.4, you need to find a replacement. It is no longer supported.

As Tim mentioned the colors, fonts and ini's will need the most attention. Using the v9converter.exe will helps a lot to bring it to the XPA level. Just try it.

Kind regards,
André

Steven Burrows

Similar, apart from ActiveX and maybe a reimagining of your MainProg/Startup process there is little you NEED to do. Just follow the instructions. Cant comment on Components, we didn’t use them at the time, that bit looked a little hairy. We didn’t use the option to replace RM, that was high risk (terrible) in the early days, but would if doing it now that they have beaten the bugs out of it.

What you actually do to GUI Module (cant see the others needing much work) is another thing entirely. We took the opportunity to lean much more heavily on Models and their new properties.

Don’t forget, you will probably have to revamp the UserFunctionality component a little, even if it is just to match your new GUI standards.

Running thought the process, giving the results a good evaluation and deciding on how far you want to take it before doing a real conversion is advised.

It’s a great opportunity to do all that work that would in normal circumstances be too disruptive and bring your app to “the next level”. The result will effectively be a new product, it’s worth some effort.

We would then, and would now reject any 3rd party out of hand. Doing it yourself is as much a learning process as anything else, and don’t underestimate the value of programmer ownership.

Steven Burrows

Hi - we did 4 or 5 apps from V9 up v3.xx. (years ago)

From memory there is a v9 utility in unipass to get it to unipass v1.9. This part as long as you have the colors fonts and inis sorted out in the utility is the biggest component.

From a V1.9 export you can then just import direclty into v3.xx (pretty sure).

[...]

Keith Canniff

Doing it yourself is not that complicated as those have stated before.

1. Delete and unused programs, files, etc. Just simplifies the process of not fixing things that aren't used. You can use the Magic Optimizer to help identify these. Great tool...highly recommend it

2. Run F8 on all repositories (Alt+F8 on the program repository) to make sure nothing's broken before converting.

3. Follow the advise above.

If you have someone else do the conversion then you will have a period of time the code has to be "frozen" and that may or may not be a problem for you.

IMHO

Keith

Hi - we did 4 or 5 apps from V9 up v3.xx. (years ago)

From memory there is a v9 utility in unipass to get it to unipass v1.9. This part as long as you have the colors fonts and inis sorted out in the utility is the biggest component.

From a V1.9 export you can then just import direclty into v3.xx (pretty sure).

[...]

Thanks everyone for the comments and experiences - I now have a good deal of confidence in the process. My applications are not large or complicated so I cannot see the advantage of engaging a 3rd party to perform the conversion.

I have seen the mention of getting the Font and Colour files in step, as it doesn't appear that I need to open the project in uniPaaS at all as part of the process, do I need uniPaaS versions or just the final XPA versions?

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is the Record Main Converter (RM Converter) - I have a newly created "RM Converter XPA" directory after my XPA install so I assume this is something separate that is required? If so, at what stage is it advisable to run this?

Regards

Steve Greenfield
DataFormation UK Limited

Alex Medvedovski

Steve,

You do not need uniPaaS at all. You can simply use the provided v9converter.exe tool from xpa with the appropriate parameters and it will generate an xpa project for you.
You will need to adjust your fonts to TRUE type fonts but it can be done after conversion as well.
Note that the Magic.ini file structure is different from V9 and xpa, you cannot copy it and use it, you will have to use a proper Magic.ini from xpa and manually add the specifics if you have any... Another option is to use the INI conversion tool provided with xpa v2.
Once you have a good INI, I suggest pointing to your application fonts and application color files within just for conversion time, later on, you will be able to remove it from there and put on the properties of your application. This is important because if you have irregular colors exceeding the number of standard colors and open the newly created project for the first time, the tool will want to do some additional adjustments and could mess up the pointers to colors and fonts.
After all is said and done, you can run the RM conversion tool provided by Magic.

Regards,
Alex Medvedovski

Tim Downie

my recollection - is in unipass - there is a v9 to unipass converter - this is the most important step run this and it will create a unipass export .. i think we then imported to unipass - then exported out to v3.xx   0 maybe you can just import it into 3.xx directly from the converter .  (this was a long time ago)

we never converted the record mains - it just make them an event and gradually u can replace these (if u need to)

Thanks everyone for the comments and experiences - I now have a good deal of confidence in the process. My applications are not large or complicated so I cannot see the advantage of engaging a 3rd party to perform the conversion.

I have seen the mention of getting the Font and Colour files in step, as it doesn't appear that I need to open the project in uniPaaS at all as part of the process, do I need uniPaaS versions or just the final XPA versions?

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is the Record Main Converter (RM Converter) - I have a newly created "RM Converter XPA" directory after my XPA install so I assume this is something separate that is required? If so, at what stage is it advisable to run this?

Regards

Steve Greenfield
DataFormation UK Limited

De Netwerkadviseur BV

Hi Steve,

Within V9.4 you have to export with "Export for version 10.x"

Kind regards,
André