Odd issue with barcode font

Tom Worthen

We use a barcode font on several outputs. We are in the process of upgrading our environment to win2019. Everything appears to be working except the barcode is not printing.

I have validated the font is installed by using word pad.

I have rebooted the server as mentioned in a post from a few years ago by Steve Blank.

I have validated the pathing is correct in the ini and project properties.

If I rename the font engine file I do get an error so I know it is pointing to the correct file.

We use direct output to pdf in some places and going through ghost script in others but both are failing.

Other custom fonts on the output are as expected including size and color.

The font we are using is a true type font, it is the IDAutomationHD39M.ttf.

Any ideas why the barcode font won’t print?

Frederik Soete

Hi Tom,

If I may hazard a guess... Have you checked whether Magic is embedding fonts? There should be an INI setting to embed fonts in PDF.

(Long shot since you state that other custom fonts DO work.)

Bye,

Frederik Soete

Op wo 17 aug. 2022 18:04 schreef Tom Worthen <tworthen@...>:

We use a barcode font on several outputs. We are in the process of upgrading our environment to win2019. Everything appears to be working except the barcode is not printing.

I have rebooted the server as mentioned in a post from a few years ago by Steve Blank.

If I rename the font engine file I do get an error so I know it is pointing to the correct file.

We use direct output to pdf in some places and going through ghost script in others but both are failing.

Tom Worthen

Frederik,

I am willing to look at any ideas. J I presume you are referring to the ini setting EmbedFonts. It is set to Y so I don’t think that is an issue. But I had completely forgotten about that setting so it was a good think to check.

Thanks,

Tom

From: main@magicu-l.groups.io [mailto:main@magicu-l.groups.io] On Behalf Of Frederik Soete
Sent: Wednesday, August 17, 2022 12:10 PM
To: main@magicu-l.groups.io
Subject: Re: [magicu-l] Odd issue with barcode font

Hi Tom,

If I may hazard a guess... Have you checked whether Magic is embedding fonts? There should be an INI setting to embed fonts in PDF.

Bye,

Frederik Soete

Steven Blank

Tom, 

I’m relying on memory here, but as I recall, if the control that contains the barcode isn’t big enough, then it might not print at all instead of just truncating. Barcode fonts are really touchy this way. Usually they just won’t scan successfully, but I do seem to recall a situation where it didn’t print at all.

For starters, I suggest you take PDF out of the equation and try printing straight to a printer. 

Steven G. Blank
SGBlank Consulting

On Aug 17, 2022, at 9:14 AM, Tom Worthen <tworthen@...> wrote:

Frederik,

I am willing to look at any ideas. J I presume you are referring to the ini setting EmbedFonts. It is set to Y so I don’t think that is an issue. But I had completely forgotten about that setting so it was a good think to check.

Thanks,

Tom

From: main@magicu-l.groups.io [mailto:main@magicu-l.groups.io] On Behalf Of Frederik Soete

Hi Tom,

Bye,

Frederik Soete

Tom Worthen

Steve,

Thanks for the ideas, but this output works great on a 2012 server so I don’t think the size of the field is an issue. None of the programs have been altered between the 2 servers, we are just running the ecf as it was before.

I am seeing what is supposed to be the bar code just it isn’t a barcode.

Here is an example:  That should be a barcode, but as you can see it is not.

Thanks,

Tom

From: main@magicu-l.groups.io [mailto:main@magicu-l.groups.io] On Behalf Of Steven Blank
Sent: Wednesday, August 17, 2022 12:30 PM

Tom, 

I’m relying on memory here, but as I recall, if the control that contains the barcode isn’t big enough, then it might not print at all instead of just truncating. Barcode fonts are really touchy this way. Usually they just won’t scan successfully, but I do seem to recall a situation where it didn’t print at all.

For starters, I suggest you take PDF out of the equation and try printing straight to a printer. 

Steven G. Blank

SGBlank Consulting

Frederik,

Thanks,

Tom

Hi Tom,

Bye,

Frederik Soete

Keith Canniff

Tom,

Have you made sure that the computer that’s generating the output has the barcode font “installed”?  My past experience seems to recall that in some cases you can’t just drop the font into the font window (under control panel), you have to tell it to install on that computer. So for a downloaded font you right click and select “Open”. Once opened you should be able to click “Install”.

… again, this is from memory.

Keith Canniff

From: main@magicu-l.groups.io <main@magicu-l.groups.io> On Behalf Of Tom Worthen
Sent: Wednesday, August 17, 2022 1:04 PM

Steve,

Thanks for the ideas, but this output works great on a 2012 server so I don’t think the size of the field is an issue. None of the programs have been altered between the 2 servers, we are just running the ecf as it was before.

Thanks,

Tom

From: main@magicu-l.groups.io [mailto:main@magicu-l.groups.io] On Behalf Of Steven Blank

Tom, 

Steven G. Blank

SGBlank Consulting

Frederik,

Thanks,

Tom

Hi Tom,

Bye,

Frederik Soete

Steven Blank

The sizes of all Magic controls are specified in dialog units which are, themselves, intimately tied to the printer driver. When you changed servers, you certainly changed printer drivers. New printer drivers equals all prior bets are off.

Steven G. Blank
Ξ SGBlank Consulting

On 8/17/2022 10:04 AM, Tom Worthen wrote:

Steve,

Thanks,

Tom

Tom, 

Steven G. Blank

SGBlank Consulting

Frederik,

Thanks,

Tom

Hi Tom,

Bye,

Frederik Soete

Tom Worthen

Keith,

I understand what you are referring to but when I “pasted” the ttf file into the windows/fonts folder it asked if I wanted to install it. Also, if it wasn’t installed I would not expect it to work in wordpad. I did go back to the font and right clicked but install was not a listed option.

I think Steven Blank might have just given me an idea as to the issue. The printer driver.

Need to do some checking.

Thanks,

Tom

From: main@magicu-l.groups.io [mailto:main@magicu-l.groups.io] On Behalf Of Keith Canniff
Sent: Wednesday, August 17, 2022 2:03 PM

Tom,

Have you made sure that the computer that’s generating the output has the barcode font “installed”?  My past experience seems to recall that in some cases you can’t just drop the font into the font window (under control panel), you have to tell it to install on that computer. So for a downloaded font you right click and select “Open”. Once opened you should be able to click “Install”.

… again, this is from memory.

Keith Canniff

From: main@magicu-l.groups.io <main@magicu-l.groups.io> On Behalf Of Tom Worthen
Sent: Wednesday, August 17, 2022 1:04 PM

Steve,

Thanks,

Tom

Tom, 

Steven G. Blank

SGBlank Consulting

Frederik,

Thanks,

Tom

Hi Tom,

Bye,

Frederik Soete

Tom Worthen

You made me realize that I had not installed the “normal” printer on to this server. I discovered that the one we have been using is no longer in the list that is available by default with windows. L I download a driver from HP that indicated that it is for the printer we typically use but I still do not get any barcodes.

This is an html merge application so the PDF’s are stored to the disk and then displayed. I was really hoping the printer driver would fix it.

I have created a new ecf and restarted the server since the install of the printer.

Thanks,

Tom

Sent: Wednesday, August 17, 2022 3:20 PM

The sizes of all Magic controls are specified in dialog units which are, themselves, intimately tied to the printer driver. When you changed servers, you certainly changed printer drivers. New printer drivers equals all prior bets are off.

Steven G. Blank
Ξ SGBlank Consulting

Steve,

Thanks,

Tom

Tom, 

Steven G. Blank

SGBlank Consulting

Frederik,

Thanks,

Tom

Hi Tom,

Bye,

Frederik Soete

Tom Worthen

Steve,

To add a little more to this I was just going back over some of it and discovered when we output to pdf from xpa we are using the default printer1 which uses the lj3.atr file in the support folder. So, both the 2012 and 2019 servers are using the lj3.atr file that is part of the xpa installation. Since we have not changed versions of xpa they are the exact same file.

To your comment about the printer drivers on a new server, how would this relate? What do I need to look at? I thought if the printer setting in xpa indicated the printer attribute file to use that is what was used. Are you indicating that a windows printer driver would still be in play I that scenario?

I have found any other issues with going to 2019 servers other than this issue as of yet. Really need to figure this out. Any help/suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,

Tom

From: main@magicu-l.groups.io [mailto:main@magicu-l.groups.io] On Behalf Of Tom Worthen
Sent: Wednesday, August 17, 2022 4:29 PM

You made me realize that I had not installed the “normal” printer on to this server. I discovered that the one we have been using is no longer in the list that is available by default with windows. L I download a driver from HP that indicated that it is for the printer we typically use but I still do not get any barcodes.

This is an html merge application so the PDF’s are stored to the disk and then displayed. I was really hoping the printer driver would fix it.

I have created a new ecf and restarted the server since the install of the printer.

Thanks,

Tom

Steven G. Blank
Ξ SGBlank Consulting

Steve,

Thanks,

Tom

Tom, 

Steven G. Blank

SGBlank Consulting

Frederik,

Thanks,

Tom

Hi Tom,

Bye,

Frederik Soete

David

Hi Tom

Some suggestions:

1. If it may be possible consider to take the font from the old server (copy it out of the fonts folder).
2. Make a little test program where you give a lot of free space around the barcode to exclude the "field size to driver-problem". Just to make sure the font is really working
3. re-add the font installed on the new server in the font-repository of magic and try again.

If I remember right I had once a problem with an old arial-font file from winXP which I needed on Windows10. Had to do point 3 above to make it work.

Steven Blank

Tom,

Printer Attribute Files (*.atr) are ONLY relevant for printing simple text (Media:Printer, as opposed to Media:Graphic Printer) which process bypasses the Windows Printer Driver and sends text and control characters directly to the parallel port.

You wrote that the PDFs are stored to the server and then displayed. Are the barcodes displayed properly when you view one of these files using Acrobat Reader? Are they printed when you print one of these files using Acrobat Reader?

Steven G. Blank
Ξ SGBlank Consulting

On 8/18/2022 8:15 AM, Tom Worthen wrote:

Steve,

To add a little more to this I was just going back over some of it and discovered when we output to pdf from xpa we are using the default printer1 which uses the lj3.atr file in the support folder. So, both the 2012 and 2019 servers are using the lj3.atr file that is part of the xpa installation. Since we have not changed versions of xpa they are the exact same file.

To your comment about the printer drivers on a new server, how would this relate? What do I need to look at? I thought if the printer setting in xpa indicated the printer attribute file to use that is what was used. Are you indicating that a windows printer driver would still be in play I that scenario?

I have found any other issues with going to 2019 servers other than this issue as of yet. Really need to figure this out. Any help/suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,

Tom

From: main@magicu-l.groups.io [mailto:main@magicu-l.groups.io] On Behalf Of Tom Worthen

Thanks,

Tom

Steven G. Blank
Ξ SGBlank Consulting

Steve,

Thanks,

Tom

Tom, 

Steven G. Blank

SGBlank Consulting

Frederik,

Thanks,

Tom

Hi Tom,

Bye,

Frederik Soete

Tom Worthen

Steve,

No and no. When the pdf’s are viewed it is the same as the image I included earlier. We made the space for the barcodes extra large because the value of what is barcoded varies.

If I look at the form in the studio, this is what I have:

This form units is set to Inches and this field has a width of 3.000 and the font size is set to 6.

I put a border around the barcode field and here is what it looks like:

David suggested reading the font to the font repository. I am presuming he is referencing the xpa font eng file. I have not tried that, but maybe I should.

Thanks,

Tom

Sent: Thursday, August 18, 2022 12:28 PM

Tom,

Printer Attribute Files (*.atr) are ONLY relevant for printing simple text (Media:Printer, as opposed to Media:Graphic Printer) which process bypasses the Windows Printer Driver and sends text and control characters directly to the parallel port.

You wrote that the PDFs are stored to the server and then displayed. Are the barcodes displayed properly when you view one of these files using Acrobat Reader? Are they printed when you print one of these files using Acrobat Reader?

Steven G. Blank
Ξ SGBlank Consulting

Steve,

Thanks,

Tom

Thanks,

Tom

Steven G. Blank
Ξ SGBlank Consulting

Steve,

Thanks,

Tom

Tom, 

Steven G. Blank

SGBlank Consulting

Frederik,

Thanks,

Tom

Hi Tom,

Bye,

Frederik Soete

Steven Blank

Tom,

Sizing is critical. IDAutomation fonts are optimized for certain point sizes and, at least with UPC/EAN and Code 128 fonts (the only ones I have used), if they get cramped at all in either direction, they won't print or won't scan successfully.

Here's some help pages:

https://www.barcodefaq.com/knowledge-base/ttf-printing/
https://www.barcodefaq.com/1d/code-39/

Last guess: Six points is pretty small. Suggest to increase the font size, make the edit control higher and wider than it is now and higher than the default image. Use centered placement in both the horizontal and vertical properties.

Steven G. Blank
Ξ SGBlank Consulting

PS. Maybe it's a security issue on Server 2019. You may need to upgrade to their Digitally-Signed fonts.

On 8/18/2022 10:34 AM, Tom Worthen wrote:

Steve,

No and no. When the pdf’s are viewed it is the same as the image I included earlier. We made the space for the barcodes extra large because the value of what is barcoded varies.

This form units is set to Inches and this field has a width of 3.000 and the font size is set to 6.

David suggested reading the font to the font repository. I am presuming he is referencing the xpa font eng file. I have not tried that, but maybe I should.

Thanks,

Tom

Tom,

Steven G. Blank
Ξ SGBlank Consulting

Steve,

Thanks,

Tom

Thanks,

Tom

Steven G. Blank
Ξ SGBlank Consulting

Steve,

Thanks,

Tom

Tom, 

Steven G. Blank

SGBlank Consulting

Frederik,

Thanks,

Tom

Hi Tom,

Bye,

Frederik Soete

Steven Blank

Tom,

Here's another link I found useful:

https://www.barcodefaq.com/knowledge-base/print-quality/

Steven G. Blank
Ξ SGBlank Consulting

Steve,

Thanks,

Tom

Tom,

Steven G. Blank
Ξ SGBlank Consulting

Steve,

Thanks,

Tom

Thanks,

Tom

Steven G. Blank
Ξ SGBlank Consulting

Steve,

Thanks,

Tom

Tom, 

Steven G. Blank

SGBlank Consulting

Frederik,

Thanks,

Tom

Hi Tom,

Bye,

Frederik Soete

Tom Worthen

This issue is still confusing to me so I took it a few steps further. I setup the studio on the web server and ran the program in the studio and it created a pdf with the expected results.

Here is the barcode from the program run in the studio:

Here is the same part of the page run from the web:

I would think both of these are using the font file defined in the application properties. They can’t be using the standard one because it doesn’t have entries for some of the other fonts that appear on the same report like this one:  For what it is worth that is font 157 which is higher than any standard font. The barcode font is at 170.

Any one has any idea why running a program via the web browser through the broker would have a different output than running it from the studio?

Thanks,

Tom

Sent: Thursday, August 18, 2022 1:55 PM

Tom,

Steven G. Blank
Ξ SGBlank Consulting

Steve,

Thanks,

Tom

Tom,

Steven G. Blank
Ξ SGBlank Consulting

Steve,

Thanks,

Tom

Thanks,

Tom

Steven G. Blank
Ξ SGBlank Consulting

Steve,

Thanks,

Tom

Tom, 

Steven G. Blank

SGBlank Consulting

Frederik,

Thanks,

Tom

Hi Tom,

Bye,

Frederik Soete

Frederik Soete

Hi Tom,

Perhaps the studio is "run as administrator", and the web is not run that way/user, and maybe that causes a difference in the way fonts are handled (c.q. should be installed).

(Also, by the way, which Magic version are you running? Not sure if the version makes a difference, but would be nice to know.)

HTH,

Frederik Soete

Op di 23 aug. 2022 18:59 schreef Tom Worthen <tworthen@...>:

This issue is still confusing to me so I took it a few steps further. I setup the studio on the web server and ran the program in the studio and it created a pdf with the expected results.

I would think both of these are using the font file defined in the application properties. They can’t be using the standard one because it doesn’t have entries for some of the other fonts that appear on the same report like this one:  For what it is worth that is font 157 which is higher than any standard font. The barcode font is at 170.

Any one has any idea why running a program via the web browser through the broker would have a different output than running it from the studio?

Thanks,

Tom

Tom,

Steven G. Blank
Ξ SGBlank Consulting

Steve,

Thanks,

Tom

Tom,

Steven G. Blank
Ξ SGBlank Consulting

Steve,

Thanks,

Tom

Thanks,

Tom

Steven G. Blank
Ξ SGBlank Consulting

Steve,

Thanks,

Tom

Tom, 

Steven G. Blank

SGBlank Consulting

Frederik,

Thanks,

Tom

Hi Tom,

Bye,

Frederik Soete

Wes Hein

Use iniget and put the font file name and path on the report - see what you get

Wes

Tom Worthen

Frederik,

We are using 4.7. As mentioned it finds some fonts and uses them so I would think if what you suggest was an issue, it would affect those as well. I will look at that idea a little and check permissions.

Thanks,

Tom

Sent: Tuesday, August 23, 2022 1:07 PM

Hi Tom,

Perhaps the studio is "run as administrator", and the web is not run that way/user, and maybe that causes a difference in the way fonts are handled (c.q. should be installed).

(Also, by the way, which Magic version are you running? Not sure if the version makes a difference, but would be nice to know.)

HTH,

Frederik Soete

Op di 23 aug. 2022 18:59 schreef Tom Worthen <tworthen@...>:

Thanks,

Tom

Tom,

Steven G. Blank
Ξ SGBlank Consulting

Steve,

Thanks,

Tom

Tom,

Steven G. Blank
Ξ SGBlank Consulting

Steve,

Thanks,

Tom

Thanks,

Tom

Steven G. Blank
Ξ SGBlank Consulting

Steve,

Thanks,

Tom

Tom, 

Steven G. Blank

SGBlank Consulting

Frederik,

Thanks,

Tom

Hi Tom,

Bye,

Frederik Soete

Tom Worthen

Wes,

How do you use an iniget to retrieve something from the application properties? I have never needed that before but that is what you are suggesting. I did some searching in the help but could not find anything.

Tom

From: main@magicu-l.groups.io [mailto:main@magicu-l.groups.io] On Behalf Of Wes Hein
Sent: Tuesday, August 23, 2022 1:08 PM

Use iniget and put the font file name and path on the report - see what you get

Wes