Topics

Off Topic: TFS and VS

Tom Worthen

We are currently TFS with VS 2013. That is where we started and hadn’t seen a need to upgrade. Recently we were working with a person that was using Visual Studio (VS) to edit HTML’s. So, I was wondering if we upgrade VS to 2015, 2017 or 2019 does it still work with our existing TFS or do we need to make a change/upgrade there also?

Thanks in advance,

Tom

Keith Canniff

Tom,

Not sure. I think the last version of Team Explorer that worked with TFS (that supported Magic) was 2013. I think it uses the 2010 MSSCCI connector (which connects Magic to TFS) and it’s not compatible with newer versions of Team Explorer.

At least from what I remember.

However you can have multiple versions of VS installed as long as you keep the old one.

Keith

From: main@magicu-l.groups.io <main@magicu-l.groups.io> On Behalf Of Tom Worthen
Sent: Wednesday, May 20, 2020 10:22 AM
To: main@magicu-l.groups.io
Subject: [magicu-l] Off Topic: TFS and VS

We are currently TFS with VS 2013. That is where we started and hadn’t seen a need to upgrade. Recently we were working with a person that was using Visual Studio (VS) to edit HTML’s. So, I was wondering if we upgrade VS to 2015, 2017 or 2019 does it still work with our existing TFS or do we need to make a change/upgrade there also?

Thanks in advance,

Tom

Virus-free. www.avast.com

Roberto Gauer

Tom, 

You have to keep team explorer 2013 installed in order to correct work with xpa, so you will have a visual studio "shell integrated" 2013, and you must login in this environment.

And side by side, you can install a visual studio pro/enterprise installed in some upgraded version to some other development. 

In this upgraded version, you can use tfs source code explorer without problems, for any normal version control operations... But inside xpa, operations with version control will call 2013 interface.

On Wed, May 20, 2020 at 11:22 AM Tom Worthen <tworthen@...> wrote:

Thanks in advance,

Tom