OFF TOPIC - Thunderbird and Gmail with Oauth2 authentication

Sir

After that you go to next step of 2 way password . It ask for APP Password. Then you create APP password using

Mail and Windows System options.

Put that app password into thunderbird gmail account . It will work. Don’t enter your google password in thunderbird account

Regards

R.A.Murali

From: main@magicu-l.groups.io [mailto:main@magicu-l.groups.io] On Behalf Of Polgár Ferenc
Sent: 13 June 2022 16:59
To: Magic Group <main@magicu-l.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [magicu-l] OFF TOPIC - Thunderbird and Gmail with Oauth2 autentication

Hi r.a.murali,

I have just tried what you suggested. Created an app password but it is never asked for, just the email address, then the password (but it is the google's normal password), after that ask for the Two-step identification code (sent in SMS) then nothing happens.

Where could you give the app password fot Thunderbird?

regards

Ferenc

R A Murali <annamalaimurali@...> ezt írta (időpont: 2022. jún. 13., H, 12:20):

Create  app password and put that password in your thunderbird application then it will work.

https://support.google.com/mail/answer/185833?hl=en-GB

Regards

r.a.murali

From: main@magicu-l.groups.io [mailto:main@magicu-l.groups.io] On Behalf Of Polgár Ferenc
Sent: 13 June 2022 14:53
Subject: Re: [magicu-l] OFF TOPIC - Thunderbird and Gmail with Oauth2 autentication

I changed the autentication to OAuth2 both for SMTP and POP3, and the POP3 and IMAP access is allowed in Gmail settings. When I try to send or download a letter Tunderbird ask for the Google password, then "The Mozilla Thunderbird Email application requests access to your Google Account". When I press the authorisation/perission button nothing happens.

It's quite strange and I don't know if it's google or thunderbird causing it to malfunction. 

I'm using the latest version of the Thundebird.

Ferenc

Frederik Soete <frederik.soete@...> ezt írta (időpont: 2022. jún. 13., H, 8:55):

Hi there,

From what I recall, I think you need to look for accounts in the menu  then change authentication for gmail pop to OAuth instead of TLS or whatever... Your thunderbird must be of recent date for this to work.

Op ma 13 jun. 2022 08:33 schreef Polgár Ferenc <fpolgar@...>:

I wonder if anyone can use the Thunderbird and Gmail combination now?

After Google changed the authentication mode to Oauth2 I can't retrieve any mail from the previous POP3 or a newer IMAP account. I followed the instructions below: https://support.mozilla.org/hu/kb/automatic-conversion-google-mail-accounts-oauth20 but I get the message "Unsuccessful login to imap.gmail.com server...". I've entered the google account password numerous times, it's in the saved passwords, but oauth://accounts.google.com token doesn't appear there.

Win10 / TB 91.10.0 (64 bit) 

TIA

Ferenc

Polgár Ferenc

Dear R.A.Murali,

Thanks for your effort to help me, but I cannot overcome the problem.
I changed the Thunderbird language to English, but the things causes the problem remaind in Hungarian. :-(
I send some images about the process.

On Oauth2-a.jpg can be seen the email I want to set the password for (fpolgar@...
The headser is: 
One account for all Google services
Sign in with your Google Account

On Oauth2-b.jpg can be seen, that when I wanted to give the app password, it says that Try again with the Google Account's password.

On Oauth2-c.jpg I give the check code I got through SMS as the part of the 2 way authentication.

On Oauth2-d.jpg is the last step, I allow the access of my gmail account.

Then nothing happens. Tha generated 2 way password wasn't asked....
The Thunderbird doesn't show even the gmail passord nor the 2 was password in the Saved Logins list.

I'm sorry, prpobably I'm doing something in a wrong way, but where I don't know.

thanks
Ferenc

R A Murali <annamalaimurali@...> ezt írta (időpont: 2022. jún. 13., H, 16:12):

Sir

After that you go to next step of 2 way password . It ask for APP Password. Then you create APP password using

Mail and Windows System options.

Put that app password into thunderbird gmail account . It will work. Don’t enter your google password in thunderbird account

Regards

R.A.Murali

Sent: 13 June 2022 16:59

Hi r.a.murali,

I have just tried what you suggested. Created an app password but it is never asked for, just the email address, then the password (but it is the google's normal password), after that ask for the Two-step identification code (sent in SMS) then nothing happens.

Where could you give the app password fot Thunderbird?

regards

Ferenc

R A Murali <annamalaimurali@...> ezt írta (időpont: 2022. jún. 13., H, 12:20):

Create  app password and put that password in your thunderbird application then it will work.

https://support.google.com/mail/answer/185833?hl=en-GB

Regards

r.a.murali

Sent: 13 June 2022 14:53

I changed the autentication to OAuth2 both for SMTP and POP3, and the POP3 and IMAP access is allowed in Gmail settings. When I try to send or download a letter Tunderbird ask for the Google password, then "The Mozilla Thunderbird Email application requests access to your Google Account". When I press the authorisation/perission button nothing happens.

It's quite strange and I don't know if it's google or thunderbird causing it to malfunction. 

I'm using the latest version of the Thundebird.

Ferenc

Frederik Soete <frederik.soete@...> ezt írta (időpont: 2022. jún. 13., H, 8:55):

Hi there,

From what I recall, I think you need to look for accounts in the menu  then change authentication for gmail pop to OAuth instead of TLS or whatever... Your thunderbird must be of recent date for this to work.

Op ma 13 jun. 2022 08:33 schreef Polgár Ferenc <fpolgar@...>:

I wonder if anyone can use the Thunderbird and Gmail combination now?

After Google changed the authentication mode to Oauth2 I can't retrieve any mail from the previous POP3 or a newer IMAP account. I followed the instructions below: https://support.mozilla.org/hu/kb/automatic-conversion-google-mail-accounts-oauth20 but I get the message "Unsuccessful login to imap.gmail.com server...". I've entered the google account password numerous times, it's in the saved passwords, but oauth://accounts.google.com token doesn't appear there.

Win10 / TB 91.10.0 (64 bit) 

TIA

Ferenc

Adrian Wick

Ok,

lets go step by step. 

1. in order to use 3rd party software with google, you need to have 2 step verification enabled on gmail account.
2. Go to google account. 
3. Click on Security on the left side of the webpage.
4. Scroll down to "Sign into Google" (or something like that; here you will also find "Password last changed", "2 step verifications" and "Passwords for apps")
If anything than on this option you have "nothing"; no passwords set up. Click on it and a new window will open where you have to enter your passwords again.
On the next screen you select the application and the system ... Choose email and windows and click generate ... Than copy generated password into your
thunderbird account instead of your gmail password ...

You are done.

Regards
A

Polgár Ferenc

Hi Adrian!

I exactly did what you wrote, but when I have to login to Google (from Thunderbird) the generated password is not accepted, just the original Google password.
I don't know where could I give/use the generated password ? 

regards
Ferenc

Adrian Wick <adrian.wick2015@...> ezt írta (időpont: 2022. jún. 14., K, 16:27):

Ok,

lets go step by step. 

1. in order to use 3rd party software with google, you need to have 2 step verification enabled on gmail account.
2. Go to google account. 
3. Click on Security on the left side of the webpage.
4. Scroll down to "Sign into Google" (or something like that; here you will also find "Password last changed", "2 step verifications" and "Passwords for apps")
If anything than on this option you have "nothing"; no passwords set up. Click on it and a new window will open where you have to enter your passwords again.
On the next screen you select the application and the system ... Choose email and windows and click generate ... Than copy generated password into your
thunderbird account instead of your gmail password ...

You are done.

Regards
A