Topics

Printing multiiple lines on a standardized form

sherman levine

This is a 9.4 question, but I suspect it's still relevant to newer releases.

I have a form (in this case a Bill of Lading) which includes a fixed height table plus lots of fixed text above, to the right, and below the table.

 In this case, the table consists of up to 9 line items, each of which has 7 fields.

Now, I've handled this in the past by putting 63 virtuals on the form,  populating them by scanning a table and doing a bunch of varsets (in this case 7) for each of the 9 line items, then printing the page etc.

It works, but lacks grace and elegance.

An alternative approach is to use 9 RTF edit controls, and synthesize one RTF string for each line item.  That actually works quite nicely. I can mix font sizes and styles, but I'm limited to fixed-width fonts if I want the columns to align. (For those who want to try this, its easiest to build a test line as a RTF text control, export the Magic task, and see what the Magic-acceptable RTF looks like, then copy and replace)

I was wondering if anybody had found a better solution.

Thanks

Sherm

Keith Canniff

Sherrm

You should be able to define the entire page as a single form with a table control in the middle just like an online screen.

The table control has 7 columns in it.

If you have less than 9 records the remainder of the 9 rows will be blank and so any fields outside the table will print in the same location

If there are more than 9 items then Magic will automatically start a new page with table continuing from record 10-19 and so on.

Is that what you're looking for?

Keith

[...]

Steven Blank

Sherm,

How about seven RTF controls, one for each column, instead of nine, one for each row?

Steve Blank

On 3/21/2020 7:11 PM, sherman levine wrote:
[...]

Steve
The fonts are different sizes so I don’t think they will align vertically as I go down the page

Sherm

On Mar 21, 2020, at 22:40, Steven Blank <@blanstev> wrote:

[...]

Really? I’ll give that a try tomorrow.
Thanks

Sherm

On Mar 21, 2020, at 22:35, Keith Canniff <kcanniff@...> wrote:

[...]

Just tried it (not much to do here these days).
Gives me one record per page.
Sherm

On 3/21/2020 10:49 PM, Sherman Levine wrote:
[...]

Keith,

Thanks. Got it working

Output form needed to be set to Auto instead of Top (of course)

Also I needed to set table height to fixed, otherwise it would print just 2 records per page and pull the bottom text up to below the 2-record table instead of at the bottom of the page. I might be able to handle the text shift via a separate form, but I'm not sure why it printed just 2 records per page.  Any thoughts?

Sherm

On 3/21/2020 11:17 PM, sherman levine wrote:
[...]

Not sure, let me go pull one of mine like this and see what setting might be missing.

Keith

[...]

Try the following. From the Data Repository do a Ctrl+G on your table, tell it to generate a “Print” output. Not sure if 9.4 did this but XPA will generate an output with a table control in a form, but I’m sure you have a copy of XPA around you could do this with just to verify

I would then:

  • expand the form (Change to inches from Dialog Units, and make it 8.5 x 11… or the Dialog Unit equivalent)
  • expand the table size to the 9 rows you want
  • change the table control properties to “Fix size table = Yes”
  • Move the table on the form approximately where you want it before entering all the other fields around it
  • Change the output to Preview so you can see it on the screen
  • Run it

You should get the desired output… at least you do in XPA.

Note: There should only be one form and it should be a “Detail” area and Expand Form = No

Keith

[...]

Fix size table=Yes works perfectly, but ends up with a blank are where I need to put the section for totals (which need to follow the details, and only on the last page).

Fix size table=No is funky - and I suspect the problem relates to the text controls which are alongside the table.
If I print with an 8" vertical form, the form actually expands vertically beyond 8" (with a blank area at the bottom).  Magic has always had a problem dealing with vertically expanding controls (in this case the table) next to other controls, and this is probably just another example.

Probably simplest for me to limit myself to fixed-width text and go the RTF route

Thanks for your help.

Sherm

On 3/22/2020 8:45 AM, Keith Canniff wrote:

[...]

Mr Magic

Do you looking for this maybe -

CTRL+C
Behavior

Records Per Page
The Records Per Page property is used to produce reports on pre-printed forms, where the header and footer are in a fixed position and a fixed number of lines exist on each page. In this case, a fixed number of records should be output to each page, with the last page padded with empty lines.

hope this help

Ariel Kotler - Magic Line
www.magicline.co.il

On Sunday, March 22, 2020, 3:18:47 PM GMT+2, sherman levine <sherman.levine@...> wrote:

[...]

Ariel,
Thank you. That might work for a preprinted form, but I need to generate the full-page form in Magic, and it includes a column of fixed text to the right of the table area.  If I don't use a table (as Keith suggested) then I only get one record per printed page, regardless of the Records per Page entry.
Sherm

On 3/22/2020 9:26 AM, Mr Magic via Groups.Io wrote:
[...]

Yeah Fixed Size = No will give you only a table the height of the actual rows populated and will cause everything around it to move.

As for the text around the table. You can’t

  1. Define an RTF (or on RTF) control that’s certain fixed height and width and have it do word wrap? Obviously it has to be large enough to handle the total text you’re going to have. It will a text field’s size (let’s say 100) and then init it with 100 “W”s to see if the control is large enough to handle the maximum content.

So you have a fixed size table and a fixed size control… both than can contain a varying about of data. This should keep the form from adjusting its size.

I’ve had some fairly complex full page forms in the past that I’ve been able to consistently put out the same form. So much so that the were used to import into an OCR scan where the data had to remain in the same areas for it to pick up certain information.

[...]

I have so much of the form written that I think I'll just go with one RTF edit control per record. I can generate all the data in a memory table including the formatted text and the page# and line#, so all I need to do with the form is read the table and output the text.  If I use a color with a transparent background for the controls, I can even make vertical lines go cleanly thru the table.

People will live with the Courier font. I'll tell them it's "Classic" :-)