Sending mail UP 1.9i

John Dowbiggin

Hi
I am developing some mailing Adonis to an app and up to last week was working fine withMailConnect() and SendMaila(). Then my ISP Sky changed some thing and the Amil’s are blocked. I’ve tried ports 25 and 26 and TLS is not an option in this version of Magic so I need another way to send mail from within Magic app short of changing service provider. Any suggestions please?

Regards

John Dowbiggin

Tim Downie

We used this in v9.

https://www.blat.net/?faq/index.html

From: main@magicu-l.groups.io <main@magicu-l.groups.io> on behalf of John Dowbiggin <john@...>
Sent: Thursday, 5 May 2022 6:58 PM
To: main@magicu-l.groups.io <main@magicu-l.groups.io>
Subject: [magicu-l] Sending mail UP 1.9i

Hi
I am developing some mailing Adonis to an app and up to last week was working fine withMailConnect() and SendMaila().  Then my ISP Sky changed some thing and the Amil’s are blocked.  I’ve tried ports 25 and 26 and TLS is not an option in this version of Magic so I need another way to send mail from within  Magic app short of changing service provider.  Any suggestions please?

Regards

John Dowbiggin

Keith Canniff

We still use Blat in XPA 3.x

Easy to use and reliable for sending hundreds of emails a day, where Magic’s internal functions couldn’t handle the volume.

I have a demo somewhere if needed

Keith

From: main@magicu-l.groups.io <main@magicu-l.groups.io> On Behalf Of Tim Downie
Sent: Thursday, May 5, 2022 5:08 AM
To: main@magicu-l.groups.io
Subject: Re: [magicu-l] Sending mail UP 1.9i

We used this in v9.

From: main@magicu-l.groups.io <main@magicu-l.groups.io> on behalf of John Dowbiggin <john@...>

Hi
I am developing some mailing Adonis to an app and up to last week was working fine withMailConnect() and SendMaila().  Then my ISP Sky changed some thing and the Amil’s are blocked.  I’ve tried ports 25 and 26 and TLS is not an option in this version of Magic so I need another way to send mail from within  Magic app short of changing service provider.  Any suggestions please?

Regards

John Dowbiggin

sales@...

Hi Keith:

Could you please send the demo

Regards
Michael Charles

-------- Original Message --------
Date: Thu, May 05, 2022 4:28 am
To: <main@magicu-l.groups.io>

Easy to use and reliable for sending hundreds of emails a day, where Magic’s internal functions couldn’t handle the volume.

Keith

We used this in v9.

Hi

Regards

John Dowbiggin

John Dowbiggin

I’d appreciate the demo as well please if you can find it

John

On 6 May 2022, at 09:04, sales@... wrote:

Hi Keith:

Regards
Michael Charles

Keith

We used this in v9.

Hi

Regards

John Dowbiggin

Keith Canniff

This is a simple outline of how to use Blat with Magic. I did not include a sample Magic program because it’s very simple. My suggestion would be to create a “wrapper” Magic program. What I mean by this a simple magic program that receives parameters, which then would execute the blat instructions below.

This way in the future, if you decide to swap Blat out for some other email function (including Magic’s when they work better), you simply replace the contents of this wrapper Magic program and the rest of your application does not have to change. Embedding the OS Command to execute blat throughout your application just makes it far more difficult to change to a new email function.

Attached is the command in the batch file with some explanations on the parameters: (I will also include this in the Files section)

blat blat_email_body.txt -subject Blat_Test -to lesdank@... -f <your email address> -server 127.0.0.1:1099 -u <your email username> -pw <your email password> -log Blat.log

(a) Blat - This runs Blat.exe
(b) blat_email_body.txt - This is the e-mail message in text format, it should be the first parameter and no switch is required.
(c) -subject - Put the e-mail subject after this switch, in this case the e-mail subject is 'Blat_Test'.
(d) - to - This is the e-mail address to send the e-mail to.
(e) -f - This is the from e-mail address.
(f) -server - Put the e-mail server here, for testing with Gmail from your desktop use 127.0.0.1:1099, more on this below.
(g) -u - This is the username to login into the e-mail server.
(h) -pw - This is the password to login into the e-mail server.
(i) -log - This is a log file for Blat output, very useful to troubleshoot any issues and also to keep a copy of all e-mail output.
(j) - attach - Not used in the test file but put a filename to be attached here, very handy for sending out PDFs etc.

This is just a small selection of the available switches. There's lots more if you check out the Blat documentation but these are probably the most used switches.

E-Mail Server

To test with Gmail nowadays(it didn't require this before) you must connect by using an SSL tunnel, the easiest way to do this is to get stunnel which is a free program, please look at  this link which has detailed instructions on doing that: https://blog.frogslayer.com/sending-an-email-through-google-smtp-via-windows-command-line/.

If you are using the client's e-mail server then you won't need all of the stunnel stuff, this is only for testing by using Gmail.

Test

To run the test simply put all the files in the RAR in the same folder, install stunnel, then adjust the switches in the batch file with your own info and run the batch file, if all is working your e-mail will go out fine, otherwise check the Blat log which will give you detailed info on what any issues are.

To use this from Magic, use an exit (or OS Command) command to run the batch file and pass it parameters like the to e-mail, subject, attach file etc for the switches as needed, and you then use %1 %2 etc in the batch file for these parameters passed out from Magic in place of hard coded info.

One thing to note here is that when using Blat from Magic that you want to use the full pathname for the files, for example:

C:\Blatfolder\Blat.exe - If Blat.exe was in 'C:\Blatfolder'
C:\PDF\Order.PDF - If the PDF file to attach was in C:\PDF\Order.PDF.

Keith

From: main@magicu-l.groups.io <main@magicu-l.groups.io> On Behalf Of John Dowbiggin via groups.io
Sent: Friday, May 6, 2022 4:28 AM

John

Hi Keith:

Regards

Michael Charles

Keith

We used this in v9.

Hi

Regards

John Dowbiggin

John Dowbiggin

Thanks Keith. That’s really helpful

Regards

John

On 6 May 2022, at 14:37, Keith Canniff <kcanniff@...> wrote:

This is a simple outline of how to use Blat with Magic. I did not include a sample Magic program because it’s very simple. My suggestion would be to create a “wrapper” Magic program. What I mean by this a simple magic program that receives parameters, which then would execute the blat instructions below.

This way in the future, if you decide to swap Blat out for some other email function (including Magic’s when they work better), you simply replace the contents of this wrapper Magic program and the rest of your application does not have to change. Embedding the OS Command to execute blat throughout your application just makes it far more difficult to change to a new email function.

Attached is the command in the batch file with some explanations on the parameters: (I will also include this in the Files section)

blat blat_email_body.txt -subject Blat_Test -to lesdank@... -f <your email address> -server 127.0.0.1:1099 -u <your email username> -pw <your email password> -log Blat.log

(b) blat_email_body.txt - This is the e-mail message in text format, it should be the first parameter and no switch is required.
(c) -subject - Put the e-mail subject after this switch, in this case the e-mail subject is 'Blat_Test'.
(f) -server - Put the e-mail server here, for testing with Gmail from your desktop use 127.0.0.1:1099, more on this below.
(i) -log - This is a log file for Blat output, very useful to troubleshoot any issues and also to keep a copy of all e-mail output.
(j) - attach - Not used in the test file but put a filename to be attached here, very handy for sending out PDFs etc.

This is just a small selection of the available switches. There's lots more if you check out the Blat documentation but these are probably the most used switches.

E-Mail Server

To test with Gmail nowadays(it didn't require this before) you must connect by using an SSL tunnel, the easiest way to do this is to get stunnel which is a free program, please look at  this link which has detailed instructions on doing that: https://blog.frogslayer.com/sending-an-email-through-google-smtp-via-windows-command-line/.

If you are using the client's e-mail server then you won't need all of the stunnel stuff, this is only for testing by using Gmail.

Test

To run the test simply put all the files in the RAR in the same folder, install stunnel, then adjust the switches in the batch file with your own info and run the batch file, if all is working your e-mail will go out fine, otherwise check the Blat log which will give you detailed info on what any issues are.

To use this from Magic, use an exit (or OS Command) command to run the batch file and pass it parameters like the to e-mail, subject, attach file etc for the switches as needed, and you then use %1 %2 etc in the batch file for these parameters passed out from Magic in place of hard coded info.

One thing to note here is that when using Blat from Magic that you want to use the full pathname for the files, for example:

Keith

From: main@magicu-l.groups.io <main@magicu-l.groups.io> On Behalf Of John Dowbiggin via groups.io

John

Hi Keith:

Regards

Michael Charles

Keith

We used this in v9.

Hi

Regards

John Dowbiggin

sales@...

Thanks John, will give it a try.

Regards
Michael Charles

Date: Fri, May 06, 2022 6:44 am

Thanks Keith. That’s really helpful

Regards

John
> On 6 May 2022, at 14:37, Keith Canniff <kcanniff@...> wrote:
>
> 
> This is a simple outline of how to use Blat with Magic. I did not include a sample Magic program because it’s very simple. My suggestion would be to create a “wrapper” Magic program. What I mean by this a simple magic program that receives parameters, which then would execute the blat instructions below.
>
> This way in the future, if you decide to swap Blat out for some other email function (including Magic’s when they work better), you simply replace the contents of this wrapper Magic program and the rest of your application does not have to change. Embedding the OS Command to execute blat throughout your application just makes it far more difficult to change to a new email function.
>
> Attached is the command in the batch file with some explanations on the parameters: (I will also include this in the Files section)
>
> blat blat_email_body.txt -subject Blat_Test -to lesdank@... -f <your email address> -server 127.0.0.1:1099 -u <your email username> -pw <your email password> -log Blat.log
>
>
> (a) Blat - This runs Blat.exe
> (b) blat_email_body.txt - This is the e-mail message in text format, it should be the first parameter and no switch is required.
> (c) -subject - Put the e-mail subject after this switch, in this case the e-mail subject is 'Blat_Test'.
> (d) - to - This is the e-mail address to send the e-mail to.
> (e) -f - This is the from e-mail address.
> (f) -server - Put the e-mail server here, for testing with Gmail from your desktop use 127.0.0.1:1099, more on this below.
> (g) -u - This is the username to login into the e-mail server.
> (h) -pw - This is the password to login into the e-mail server.
> (i) -log - This is a log file for Blat output, very useful to troubleshoot any issues and also to keep a copy of all e-mail output.
> (j) - attach - Not used in the test file but put a filename to be attached here, very handy for sending out PDFs etc.
>
> This is just a small selection of the available switches. There's lots more if you check out the Blat documentation but these are probably the most used switches.
>
> E-Mail Server
>
> To test with Gmail nowadays(it didn't require this before) you must connect by using an SSL tunnel, the easiest way to do this is to get stunnel which is a free program, please look at this link which has detailed instructions on doing that: https://blog.frogslayer.com/sending-an-email-through-google-smtp-via-windows-command-line/.
>
> If you are using the client's e-mail server then you won't need all of the stunnel stuff, this is only for testing by using Gmail.
>
> Test
>
> To run the test simply put all the files in the RAR in the same folder, install stunnel, then adjust the switches in the batch file with your own info and run the batch file, if all is working your e-mail will go out fine, otherwise check the Blat log which will give you detailed info on what any issues are.
>
> To use this from Magic, use an exit (or OS Command) command to run the batch file and pass it parameters like the to e-mail, subject, attach file etc for the switches as needed, and you then use %1 %2 etc in the batch file for these parameters passed out from Magic in place of hard coded info.
>
> One thing to note here is that when using Blat from Magic that you want to use the full pathname for the files, for example:
>
> C:\Blatfolder\Blat.exe - If Blat.exe was in 'C:\Blatfolder'
> C:\PDF\Order.PDF - If the PDF file to attach was in C:\PDF\Order.PDF.
>
>
> Keith
>
> From: main@magicu-l.groups.io <main@magicu-l.groups.io> On Behalf Of John Dowbiggin via groups.io
> Sent: Friday, May 6, 2022 4:28 AM
> To: main@magicu-l.groups.io
> Subject: Re: [magicu-l] Sending mail UP 1.9i
>
> I’d appreciate the demo as well please if you can find it
>
> John
>
>
>
> On 6 May 2022, at 09:04, sales@... wrote:
>
> 
> Hi Keith:
>
> Could you please send the demo
>
> Regards
> Michael Charles
>
>
> -------- Original Message --------
> From: "Keith Canniff" <kcanniff@...>
> Date: Thu, May 05, 2022 4:28 am
> To: <main@magicu-l.groups.io>
>
> We still use Blat in XPA 3.x
>
> Easy to use and reliable for sending hundreds of emails a day, where Magic’s internal functions couldn’t handle the volume.
> I have a demo somewhere if needed
>
> Keith
>
> From: main@magicu-l.groups.io <main@magicu-l.groups.io> On Behalf Of Tim Downie
> Sent: Thursday, May 5, 2022 5:08 AM
> To: main@magicu-l.groups.io
>
> We used this in v9.
>
> https://www.blat.net/?faq/index.html
> From: main@magicu-l.groups.io <main@magicu-l.groups.io> on behalf of John Dowbiggin <john@...>
> Sent: Thursday, 5 May 2022 6:58 PM
> To: main@magicu-l.groups.io <main@magicu-l.groups.io>
> Subject: [magicu-l] Sending mail UP 1.9i
>
> Hi
> I am developing some mailing Adonis to an app and up to last week was working fine withMailConnect() and SendMaila(). Then my ISP Sky changed some thing and the Amil’s are blocked. I’ve tried ports 25 and 26 and TLS is not an option in this version of Magic so I need another way to send mail from within Magic app short of changing service provider. Any suggestions please?
>
> Regards
>
> John Dowbiggin
>
>
>
>
>
>

sales@...

Thanks Keith, will give it a try.

Regards
Michael Charles

Date: Fri, May 06, 2022 6:36 am

E-Mail Server

Test

Keith

John

Hi Keith:

Regards
Michael Charles

Keith

We used this in v9.

Hi

Regards

John Dowbiggin

Todd Baremore

Another option to consider is SwithMail which supports SSL/TLS from a command line.
https://sourceforge.net/projects/swithmail/files/
Todd
On 5/6/2022 4:09 PM, sales@... wrote:

Thanks Keith, will give it a try.

Regards
Michael Charles

Date: Fri, May 06, 2022 6:36 am

E-Mail Server

Test

Keith

John

Hi Keith:

Regards
Michael Charles

Keith

We used this in v9.

Hi

Regards

John Dowbiggin